Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piecing- When do YOU remove the paper? >

Paper Piecing- When do YOU remove the paper?

Paper Piecing- When do YOU remove the paper?

Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM

If you notice, the blocks all have a solid line around the edge, then a dotted line. This is to help you square up the block. The dotted line is 1/4" seam allowance. Do not remove the paper until the blocks are joined together. As you said, some of the pieces in the blocks are bias cut. By not removing the paper until everything is joined together, you avoid stretching and making the blocks "wonky". Yes, it is a lot of work to remove all the papers at the same time, but I always do this in front of the TV. I've made queen sized paper pieced quilts and removed the papers after the entire top was put together. Took awhile, but kept the blocks square.

The method I use is probably similar to the fold and cut method mentioned above. I sew on the line indicated on the block using a generous amount of fabric. (I never precut fabrics, I just make sure the piece covers the # on the block I want to sew). I then fold the paper back onto the sewing line (paper is on top) I just sewed. Using a ruler, put the 1/4" mark on the sewn line (where the paper is folded back) and rotary cut off the fabric that hangs over the ruler edge. (I hope this is clear). Press the fabric with the paper still folded back. Now take the paper and top layer of fabric and open them. Press flat. (Clear as mud yet?) Continue on with the next piece in the block. Hope this helps!

Anita
Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 PM

One other thought on paper to use. I always use copy paper and have never had a problem removing it. I set my stitch length to 1.5 or 2 maximum - yes, tiny, but it perforates the paper well and it is easy to remove. Carol Doak also sells PP paper through her website. It is quite good, too. I have never used freezer paper. Made a couple of queen sized quilts with copy paper and no problems. JMHO.

Anita
Old 05-20-2013, 01:29 PM

That's a darling pattern, and your block looks great. It's too late now, but maybe for the next one . . . I don't use paper for my paper piecing. I use the June Tailor nonwoven foundation sheets. They are 8-1/2" x 11" and go through either an inkjet or laser printer with no problem. And the best thing is that you don't have to take them off like paper. Just trim to size, and sew your blocks together. They are a little heavier than paper, but it's worth it for the time it saves. See http://www.joann.com/june-tailor-per...g/xprd1002406/
Old 05-20-2013, 02:53 PM

Yep! I have learned a lot about quilting from the internet, though.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i don't have to remove the paper as I use the fold back method of paperpiecing... love it!
That's what I do, too. Great isn't it?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:27 PM

I don't have to worry about it as I use fabric - anything white and cheap - instead of paper. Just leave it on- gives the quilt a little extra thickness - maybe can use a thinner quilting.