Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unusual request >

Unusual request

Unusual request

Old 05-26-2013, 06:11 AM

I would say out right no, because I don't like guns.....
Old 05-26-2013, 06:15 AM

A long case, not dissimilar to a body pillow case but narrower with a Velcro closure on one end would do the trick. They are a temporary thing, right? If your BIL has a Walmart or Dicks sporting goods store it would be easier, faster and probably cheaper to buy inexpensive soft gun cases.

Last edited by Tashana; 05-26-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

I would call him back and get the lengths of the gun(s). Then add 6 inches to the length and somehow attach some memory foam to protect the scope at least.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:36 AM

I've actually have made several!!! I do hunt. I just take the measurements from the rifle, add 6 inch all the way around.. I use heavy vinyl that has some backing to it. Cut out a rectangle using the measurements of the rifle, plus the extra 6 inches. A rectangle of medium weight batting and some kind of material for the inside liner, the same size. You don't want the gun setting on the batting. Too much lint, it will get everywhere, when taking the rifle in and out. This is bad for the optics and trigger action. Okay, now you ready to start putting it all together. I just lay out the vinyl, spray it with permanent adhesive. Next comes the batting, spray. then the liner. I find any kind of cotton or denim works well. I actually, used 'girly' cottons for several. I do all my spraying outside on the patio. I let this all dry over night. Next, fold in half. Leave around, 3 inches from the fold. Take rifle and and outline the triangle the rifle makes. The stock of the gun will be wider than the barrel end. Cut, about an inch outside of that outline. Check to make sure that the permanent adhesive glued everything along the seam. Then, your ready to glue the seam shut. I use liquid nails. It's permanent and waterproof, and you can get it almost anywhere.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:24 AM

I think I would also use an old fleece blanket for the batting. It is thicker, and would maybe even double that. Especially if they are going to be in transit for a while and may get banged around
Old 05-26-2013, 12:56 PM

I agree with starting with the practice pieces as padding and then you could layer them between some camo and some flannel.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:35 PM

Thanks for all the helpful information. I'm sure that my BIL has plenty of gun cases that he could have used but probably didn't want to leave them or take them on all of the trip. And, I am sure he had plenty of old blankets that he could have wrapped them in. Maybe he just wanted to see if I'd do it or to make me feel useful. heheheh! Anyway, what I now call his gun socks are ready for delivery.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

http://www.google.com/images?q=Rifle...w&ved=0CDMQsAQ
I found this link and if you look at the second one, I think you could make one with a tie or a velcro closure that would work just fine. I would love to see it when it is finished.