Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
HOME DÉCOR SWAP #2 - entry closes April 19, 2013 >

HOME DÉCOR SWAP #2 - entry closes April 19, 2013

HOME DÉCOR SWAP #2 - entry closes April 19, 2013

Old 05-27-2013, 06:54 PM

I usually buy warm and natural batting but ordered a roll of "soft 'n crafty" from JoAnn's. It is 90" wide by 25 yds and the price was very reasonable. It is a lighter weight batting and would be fabulous for a summer weight quilt or duvet. I have used some of it in the last table runner I just made and a couple of sets of mug rugs. I like it for the weight it is and it quilts very nicely. It has enough body to hold its shape, think you'd be happy with it. The item # I have is 12395943 so you might take a look. I ordered another brand also from a different place and it is just a tad heavier, can't find my invoice right now in my files but let me know and I can look it up for you if you're interested. I would be glad to send you a sample of this so you know what it's like DustysMomma if that would help you, let me know. Or if you just need some for your duvet, I'm sure we can work that out if you don't want a whole bolt of it.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:02 PM

Found it dusty'smomma, the other place is Quilting-warehouse.com. It's a part of Beverly's Fabrics I think. I'll check it out tomorrow, haven't really unrolled the bolt to really look at it, just kind of felt the same as JoAnn's but a "tad" bit heavier. The price was a tad bit heavier too
Old 05-27-2013, 08:54 PM

Thank you for the info Jaba. I looked at the Soft n Crafty, but I'm worried that it has toasty in the name. I think it would be good for a throw, but I'm unsure about using it for a summer duvet or quilt. If you have a small scrap you don't mind parting with, I would love to take a look at it. I see Joann has it on sale for $80 per 25' roll.

Since you mentioned a duvet, that sounds like a possible solution as well. I bought 2 king size flat sheets for $2 that I planned to use for backings, but maybe a thin batting with a flat sheet wrapped around it & sewn up like a duvet is the answer. If I make it the exact size of the duvets we have, I can put the regular duvet cover on it like I do now.

I've been reading a lot this evening and someone suggested Quilters Dream Natural Request Thin Loft for a summer duvet. The twin size on Amazon, cheapest place I found it, was $18. King size is $35. I also saw where people talked about quilts their grandmother or great grandmother made that only had a sheet for batting, so it was basically 3 layers of cotton fabric. I'm highly opposed to using generic blankets as batting, because it feels weird to me (the quilt I have that my mother made my grandmother is made like this), but I'm on the fence about a sheet as batting.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:05 AM

I just had a light bulb moment, I think! Why don't you use flannel??? You could even buy a flannel sheet instead of off the bolt, just be sure and wash it first because of the shrinkage. Maybe that would be a perfect weight, what do you think? I can sure send you samples of these those so you will know what they are like, send me an address and I'll get them in the mail.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:02 AM

I've used flannel for the sake of bulk reduction, but I never have thought about it as being a less warm alternative to batting. The quick quilt I made for my boyfriend's nephew has flannel for the batting, because I felt it would be warmer, since it was meant to be used on a tile floor with radiant floor heating. Flannel sheets are lighter than bolt flannel though, aren't they? That might be an option. I could still use it with the sheets to make it a duvet then. I'd have to sleep under it first & see how it goes before I turned it into a duvet. Maybe I can do that while my boyfriend is out of the country for 2 weeks. If I don't like them, I'll just use them for backing for Jamie's quilts for OK!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:34 AM

There you go, it won't go to waste. Send me your address and I'll put the samples in the mail to you.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Well, I'm excited to post pictures of Cheesehead (aka Jan's) beautiful work! I asked for a wall-hanging for my son The Midget who loves Star Wars, Angry Birds, and Legos. He was SO EXCITED to get a package with TWO!!! things (wallhanging and pillow case) in it just for him! Here are some pictures...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]415957[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]415958[/ATTACH]

He said, quote, "I should go put clean sheets on my bed now." So I even win with this... changing sheets is a monthly battle between us
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117[1].jpg
Views:	128
Size:	691.1 KB
ID:	415957   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118[1].jpg
Views:	113
Size:	670.3 KB
ID:	415958  
Old 05-28-2013, 03:01 PM

WHOA! How cool is that!? Tell him if he ever "outgrows" that wall hanging, there's a 40 year old woman in Alabama who would love it! I have always been a sci-fi junkie, just like my daddy. My dad even named me after a somewhat obscure sci-fi comic book character.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:04 PM

I'm so glad he liked it Kelly. Today I received a gorgeous wall hanging that Kelly (TheMamaHauser) made for me. It's all done in gorgeous batiks and the quilting that she did is fabulous! I took a picture, but today it is dark and rainy and even with all the lights on the colors are not getting picked up. I will take another picture once I get it on the wall and hopefully everyone can see what a stunning quilt this is.

Jan[ATTACH=CONFIG]415965[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-651S.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	415965  
Old 05-29-2013, 06:17 AM

DM, I use warm and natural for everything and LOVE it, I always prewash it and it comes in wool blends also! You could use flannel or even fleece. The quilt that Nancia made for Jayla is just a pieced top and fleece, I steal it sometimes when I'm in my recliner its the perfect size .

I have asked that everyone that is sending quilts have them here by June 24th. I have to get back to my family and fullfill my obligations for my swaps! I start homeschooling Jayla and Beau in August and Marin will be here this summer and we only get her 13 weeks a year so those are precious.