Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Memorial Day puts me in mind of..... >

Memorial Day puts me in mind of.....

Memorial Day puts me in mind of.....

Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
Default Memorial Day puts me in mind of.....

This Memorial Day weekend I made another quilt for a local injured soldier and it put me in mind of my other work done in the past on military quilts.

I have started watching the local news on the computer for articles about our local soldiers - human and canine - and have found myself responding immediately. It takes so little time - 2-3 days - to make a rail fence pattern quilt, but it is a "hug from home", a remembrance of honor for these young military personnel. I will be enlisting some help from a couple of LA I know to see if they will participate with me to get them quilted more quickly.

For me this effort came about as an offshoot from a group called Patriot Quilters of Virginia. There were originally about 6 of us and we intended to make quilts for Virginia soldiers rather than send quilts to national organizations for disbursement. We did this for a season, and took them to the VA Hospital in Richmond, VA. When, as a major player in the group, I began the Barracks Quilt Project for my SIL's battalion in Farah, Afghanistan 3 or so years ago (that so many here on the QB assisted with!) then my personal regional local efforts took a backseat. That group lost its momentum and never seemed to regain it, as the founder never had the oomph to make any quilts herself or push it forward.

three months ago I saw an article about a local bomb sniffing dog that had developed PTSD in Afghanistan and was shipped home where she was adopted by her local soldier. I wanted to make a quilt for the dog and her soldier. Those were presented to these two at our local guild quilt show in March, to great fanfare by the local media (all arranged by our show PR person who was a retired army Lt. Col.!), unknown to me!.

That made me more aware of the news stories of other soldiers from our area who had been negatively impacted by their service for our country and surely were worthy of a "hug from home". Now I am determined to renew our Patriot Quilters group and include more local quilters in the effort.

This is something any locality could do. I challenge all of you to think about helping to create your own "Patriot Quilters of _____" group and reach out to the men and women of your town, county, or region. Who better to honor and support them than the residents of their home town! I'd love to hear from those of you who will consider taking on this rewarding endeavor in your own area!

Jan in VA
Old 05-27-2013, 08:09 PM

What a wonderful idea. I'm sure there will be many who will take up that challenge!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:07 AM

I made a Quilt of Valor for a soldier 2 years ago and sent it to New York, from there it went APO to Iraq-to a wounded warrior, it gave me such great pride and feelings, I am in the process of doing another-Thanks for reminding me and others there is a need for us Quilters-may I encourage others to sew one also-Thank You for your caring in advance-tears are coming for you're sewing.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:48 PM

Our small quilting group started out making quilts for that purpose. Somehow the quilts that we made ended up going to family members of our deceased soldiers. We are getting back to our original thought.....to the actual injured soldier. We did send one off to a injured soldier.....believe it or not....it got lost in the mail. Somehow insurance was not thought of when it was mailed. UGH! Never heard of it again....we did try. That's probably how it shifted to families. We are getting back to the original thought. Thanks for your part in thinking of the people or animals involved. Hugs
Old 05-29-2013, 04:30 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Just Barb View Post
Our small quilting group started out making quilts for that purpose. Somehow the quilts that we made ended up going to family members of our deceased soldiers. We are getting back to our original thought.....to the actual injured soldier. We did send one off to a injured soldier.....believe it or not....it got lost in the mail. Somehow insurance was not thought of when it was mailed. UGH! Never heard of it again....we did try. That's probably how it shifted to families. We are getting back to the original thought. Thanks for your part in thinking of the people or animals involved. Hugs
Barb,
We will also send a quilt to the family of a local slain soldier, especially if there is a child left behind. We want to impact any who served; I consider families who have sent their soldiers off to war, and who handle so many issues alone without his/her physical presence, have also served. I'm getting more and more excited about this new project direction. I'm really hopeful there will be more positive responses here, even ONE person can start the ball rolling! Just read your local news and reach out to the reporter for contact information.

Come on folks!

Jan in VA
Old 05-29-2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Barb,
We will also send a quilt to the family of a local slain soldier, especially if there is a child left behind. We want to impact any who served; I consider families who have sent their soldiers off to war, and who handle so many issues alone without his/her physical presence, have also served. I'm getting more and more excited about this new project direction. I'm really hopeful there will be more positive responses here, even ONE person can start the ball rolling! Just read your local news and reach out to the reporter for contact information.

Come on folks!

Jan in VA
I commend you on your journey. There are so many "needing this quilt of hugs" whether it is the injured, or slain soldier or the family.. There is such a need for this types of programs. I encourage everyone to open your hearts and send a quilt to a Soldier.. The Soldier has given so much , a quilt is the least we can do for them.

As a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Ladies Aux , We have a saying.. " Step up and leave no Veteran behind"

Keep up the good work Jan in VA!!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:03 PM

Jan, you are not only a talented quilter but a very special person. I can't drive through Arlington without sending a piece of my heart to the cemetery. I think you are thinking like me, what can we do who stay stateside and wait? Conscience, duty and responsibility drive the answers and we all will answer in our own way.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:32 PM

What an inspiring person & quilter you are.

One group I belong to does quilts and likewise take them to the local VA hospital. You know, one of the worst VA's in the country to hear the reports as so many died while waiting for appointments. The VA medical system needs work but our soldiers need love and support and that's who we quilt for.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Perhaps also writing to those in charge of veterans' mental and physical carre DEMANDING that our veterans and their families get IMMEDIATE care when needed?