I'm still in shock

Old 06-01-2013, 06:38 AM

I don't think it will matter what YOU do there....it is all going to so exciting. Just flying into the airport will be awesome...seeing the blue water and shorelines! Google fabric shops and Oahu and you will find some. I found a wonderful one on Maui and that was a real treat for me! I also took a class on Hawaiian applique while there...that was fun too. We took a guided tour around the island and that was a great way to see a lot of what was there without renting a car. ENJOY
Old 06-01-2013, 07:18 AM

I envy you. Our daughter gave us money for our 50th anniversary to either go to Hawaii or an Alaskan cruise. Having a hard time getting hubby to look at the travel info to set up a trip. This has been going on since February
Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 AM

Wow, how exciting. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Have fun and show us the fabric when you get back!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:06 AM

Make sure you g to the Polynesian Museum
Old 06-01-2013, 08:06 AM

Hawaii is a place to go and relax. Do not try to do all the tourist things in just a couple days. Go sit on the beach and watch and listen to the waves. Though way too expensive, in my opinion, the Hawaiian Cultural Center is a must see.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by pal View Post
Oahu is the only vacation we've ever taken (47 yrs) and I'd jump on the plane again in a minute - wouldn't even worry about bringing clothes. Our luggage was delayed for 4 days, so I bought a few moo-moos and a pair of thong shoes when we got there. Heaven on Earth!!! You are going to have a wonderful time!!
It really is all you need!! Pack very light! If you are there over a Sunday, go to the big Park and Swap at the football stadium. All your tourist knic-knacs for very little, get a cold coconut drink, taste everything!!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:22 AM

Although you said your DH can't go swimming, think about a snorkeling trip on a tourist boat. He can sit in the shade on the boat, and you can snorkel. It is the MOST amazing thing in the world, and a treasured memory of mine, seeing colorful fish and sea turtles and coral, etc. The operators are most helpful with people who have never snorkeled before. In fact, my husband is a non-swimmer, and they gave him a buoyant life vest and a viewing box so he didn't even have to put his face in the water. On the boat they serve drinks and snacks, and the views are lovely, so your husband won't be bored. I took a waterproof camera to try to capture the beauty, but my pics were never as good as professional pictures and postcards. Don't miss this opportunity to do something so amazing!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:22 AM

Oh my what fun, congratulations, haven't been to hawaii yet, it is on my to do list. Hope hubby has planned some nice quilt shop stops for you. Sounds like he has done his homework
Old 06-01-2013, 09:39 AM

My words of advice other than to have a great time....is sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. Many people not used to going to the beach mis-judge the strength of the sun reflected off the sand and water and they get sunburned. They don't use enough sunscreen, stay out in the sun too long at one time and get "toasted". A bad sunburn would be very uncomfortable....would hate to see you spent your trip in a hotel room covered in Panama Jack sunburn gel. Hope your trip is great....Wish my hubby would surprise me with a trip to Hawaii....you have a keeper!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:06 PM

My daughter is on the Island of Kauai as we speak! I have asked her to pick me up a yard of fabric from there. I have never been to Hawaii and she is not a quilter, so I can't help her on where to find my treasure. Anyone out there that can help? I asked for a traditional piece of Hawaiian fabric ( whatever that is, lol). Suggestions?