Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Latest obsession is >

Latest obsession is

Latest obsession is

Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

Way to go!! Check out yard sales also.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:10 AM

I have used old dresses for fabric for years now. It is the practical way to go and have fun. As a child during WWII I learned to use and reuse many items. I hate to see wasted fabric go to the city dump !!!!!!!! It yells SAVE ME!! hugs
Old 06-01-2013, 06:18 AM

When we were living in Indpls there were 5 Value Villages and I would hit them as often as possible.I always found fabric's. JoAnn's donated a lot of stuff they could not sell, mostly because it was to expensive. I scored really big once. Minnesota Fabrics went out of business and their entire stock went to V V. stores $5 for a grocery bag of notions-whole bolts of fabric and batting from $10 to $25 -I filled my little Astro van. DH had to help unload and he said I was more excited than a kid turned loose in a candy store.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:37 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Latest obsession is going to thrift stores and seeing how much fabric I can get for how little money

Earlier this week, I finished a WOF rag blanket from about $2 of fabric---------------not counting the cost of thread..I try NOT to know how much that costs.

Got a 5 store run mapped out for later today---------I've previously purchased fabric at each of the stores. Not that I NEED fabric, but the HUNT is the real game
GrannieAnnie......I have been doing this for years. I started doing it way back when I still had small children at home, then got away from it as money was better but have since gotten back into the hunt...thats the best part.
Have fun and congrats on your frugal quilts...as I like to call them.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:58 AM

Sounds like a real hoot! I can see why you enjoy finding bargains like that.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

Stopped at a yard sale this morning - the person had a white Singer sewing machine for sale - said his grandma used it only four times! - (Wonder why!!!) - and that she got it in the 1990s.

It did have the power cord and control - but I passed.

I did get a good top sheet, slightly used long-sleeved Levi man's shirt, and two pairs of jeans to cut up (although it's really hard for me to cut up jeans that are still intact!) all for $1.00.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:14 PM

I am so happy to read your blog and the responders. I recently joined the QB and have been reading responses and looking at photos. I got the impression hat if I used anything but the "best" of everything, the quilt police would be watching for my projects. Glad to see there are real people on this board, doing real people things. Congratulations on your first and many finds to come.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:38 PM

My kind of game! lol
Old 06-01-2013, 07:18 PM

I have a wonderful husband who doesn't mind thrift shopping or garage sales. It's almost bad because I bring home so much I have no idea where to put it! Have to go on a "diet" from bargain fabric shopping and leave some for others like me.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barbwork View Post
I am so happy to read your blog and the responders. I recently joined the QB and have been reading responses and looking at photos. I got the impression hat if I used anything but the "best" of everything, the quilt police would be watching for my projects. Glad to see there are real people on this board, doing real people things. Congratulations on your first and many finds to come.
There are some that can and do use 'only the best'

There are others that do the best they can with what they have