Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
2x Original WW2 patch quilts almost complete after 8 years in the making >

2x Original WW2 patch quilts almost complete after 8 years in the making

2x Original WW2 patch quilts almost complete after 8 years in the making

Old 06-06-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ocsfollowme View Post
Due to the weight of each, I was advised to sew around each of the patches so that it would not sag. Finishing the second one tomorrow (sewing around the patches). There are over 300 different patches on each quilt!!

Should I make sleeves for the top and bottom? The quilts weigh 14 lbs each. I sewed around each of the patches to keep them from sagging so possibly one at top would work? Advice needed for this please.
-Steve
Steve, first how wonderful these quilts are, and thank you for your dedication in making them.
I wanted to address your question about the weight and sleeves.

Once while touring the Internatinoal Quilt Study Center and Museum in Lincoln NE, they were doing a talk on how they hang their quilts - expecially the really aged and fragile quilts. They said that the really heavy ones, they would hang not only from the top, but across the middle too.

So, I would suggest maybe putting the sleeve at the top as normal, then another 2 or 3 sleeves in the center to help hold the weight. And then one at the bottom to help it hang straight.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

What amazing quilts.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:31 AM

Those are absolutely amazing quilts. Thank you so much for your service and for making them. Would it be alright for me to print photos of your quilts to show the WWII veterans that meet at the VA in Vancouver WA? We are 46 year veterans of the Navy - I retired after 20 and DH retired after 26 - and he now serves our veterans at the Vancouver division of the Portland VA as an addictions therapist.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:15 PM

First of all, Many, Many Thank Yous for your service to our country! Your work is absolutely beautiful...I see a couple that my husband wore before retiring after 21 years of service.

God bless you on your future endeavors!!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:18 PM

Great job! I'm sure you will find a way to get them displayed.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

I know that those will be treasured
Old 06-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

WOW!! Those are awesome quilts.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:10 PM

Yes I think I would put a hanging sleeve at the top and another sleeve at the bottom to help the quilt hang straight. Have you thought how you will quilt it? Are you going to try to do it on a regular sewing machine or long arm? Personally I would go for a long arm. If you don't do it yourself, I would select someone who has a lot of experience in machine quilting and know how to work with heavy tops. You will need a lot of support for the top, I am guessing a strong batting and backing, and lots of quilting.

Quite an enterprise, you have made. I would really research how to quilt it and hang it before you do it so you know it will hold up to hanging, and possibly lots of handling. You have honored our heritage as well as the men and women who served.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pepita View Post
Yes I think I would put a hanging sleeve at the top and another sleeve at the bottom to help the quilt hang straight. Have you thought how you will quilt it? Are you going to try to do it on a regular sewing machine or long arm? Personally I would go for a long arm. If you don't do it yourself, I would select someone who has a lot of experience in machine quilting and know how to work with heavy tops. You will need a lot of support for the top, I am guessing a strong batting and backing, and lots of quilting.

Quite an enterprise, you have made. I would really research how to quilt it and hang it before you do it so you know it will hold up to hanging, and possibly lots of handling. You have honored our heritage as well as the men and women who served.
I am 98% done with the quilting. One of my mother's friends let me use her long arm. It was my goal to do everything, all 100% by myself, for these quilts. They are far from perfect, but they actually look good, and the patches are what presents the quilt. I sewed around all of the patches after I quilted it to keep the patches from sagging. I quilted down all of the channels between the khaki rectangles that the patches are on. I used the warm and natural batting. Each quilt weighs in at 14 lbs before the binding and sleeves--but those will not add much. I was thinking about doing sleeves on the top and bottom.

Should I try to do long and continuous sleeves the entire width? I think they are about 118" wide and 92" tall. Someone suggested doing a sleeve in the middle. How about the sides too so that it can be stretched (softly and carefully)?

I have been watching a bunch of youtube videos on sleeves. Was thinking about doubling up the fabric due to the weight, and the fact that I wanted to take this quilt traveling around the country.

I almost thought about pulling an Army idea right out of a manual and putting grommets in the corners to use 550 cord to suspend it
Old 06-06-2013, 05:06 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I am beyond impressed! Thank you for making this quilt, and especially for sharing it with us and the many others who will benefit from viewing it.
Best wishes for your new future after your very appreciated service.
Jan in VA