Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I did not realize that I was following a dress code >

I did not realize that I was following a dress code

I did not realize that I was following a dress code

Old 06-09-2013, 10:21 AM

I retired 13 years ago and have Never worn panty hose since then. No dresses or skirts or heels more than 2 inches, except a pretty dress for our 50th wedding anniversary celebration. It's T-shirt tops and jeans for me every day.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
Nope, I don't belong. I wear dresses as soon as the weather is good enough for sleeveless, absolutely love them. DH and I notice that women wear men's T-shirts all the time and wonder why.

Cuz men's tees are more comfy!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 AM

I retired almost a year ago. I still wear walking shoes then change to sandals. NEVER wear jeans, too stiff for me. Wear twill pants and feminine tees. Sunday it is a dress or skirt and blouse. Wear lipstick every day as well as blush. I need to look good for Dh and dag as well as my reflection in the mirror. Hugs
Old 06-09-2013, 10:55 AM

I wear jeans or pants and a blouse every day. Cotton, gotta be comfy at my age. I do get the make-up and hair just right every morning, for the rest of the day. I have to run to the store and go to my 91 yr. old sis at the nursing home daily, but sure no high heels anymore. Gotta have my Thorlo socks too.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

HUSH, all of you, before Stacy and Clinton from "What Not to Wear" show up here and start filming one of us for a week!!
EGADS, t-shirt and crops or capris is all I wear, too, every day! We are all stuck in a comfort rut, aren't we.

I, for one, am not changing a thing. At 68 I have earned the right to decide how I want to dress without harassment from the youngers or the masses......even if, apparently, I DO look like the masses, LOL!

Jan in VA
Old 06-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Mr. Stitchnripper and I have watched all 10 seasons of "What not to Wear" and the takeaway message from that is, it is possible to look nice and still be comfortable. Nice is subjective of course, and I am guessing we all look nice no matter what we wear. I know better how to shop for "the body I have and not the body I want" and hope I look my version of "nice" every day. I am not talking breaking the bank. Target is one of my favorite stores. And Talbot's when they mark things down twice, preferably 3 times, with another discount on top of that. I am retired so can browse these stores now and then. My makeup such that it is, takes me about 3 minutes in the a.m. and I never look at it again until I wash my face before bed. Oh, and there are many types of new jeans that aren't stiff, fit all body types and sales prevail to keep them budget friendly. For anyone interested, Dillards if it is in your area, or on line, has a line of pull on denims that are made like jeans, with pockets, etc. Their brand is Westbound, park avenue fit, and with a t-shirt looks like you are wearing jeans and there are no zippers and easy to move around in. One other thing, a simple dress is way cooler in our heat than even shorts.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Posting same time as Jan in VA!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:08 AM

Scrubs for work. Jeans or capris in off time, shoes depend on the season, flip flops or running shoes. I do dress for church, long dress and flip flops in summer, hose and dress shoes in fall/winter.
D
Old 06-09-2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
HUSH, all of you, before Stacy and Clinton from "What Not to Wear" show up here and start filming one of us for a week!!
EGADS, t-shirt and crops or capris is all I wear, too, every day! We are all stuck in a comfort rut, aren't we.

I, for one, am not changing a thing. At 68 I have earned the right to decide how I want to dress without harassment from the youngers or the masses......even if, apparently, I DO look like the masses, LOL!

Jan in VA
Atta Girl!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:29 PM

Thank goodness, for the first time in my life I'm "normal"! That is to say, jeans and tees in the summer, jeans and sweat shirts in the winter and sneakers or Merrells year round. Since I retired six years ago, I vowed that I would never again dress in anything but that, and with the exception of a couple of times, I have kept that vow. I got tired of wearing dress clothes and then scrubs, hence the "major" decision! So ladies, I applaud your position!