Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 580 or Babylock ellageo Plus? >

Bernina 580 or Babylock ellageo Plus?

Bernina 580 or Babylock ellageo Plus?

Old 06-09-2013, 03:29 PM

I have had my Bernina 580 for a little over a year. It is my third Bernina and I love it best of them all! I haven't had one single issue with it and I sew something everyday. I bought it when I retired and I expect it will be my last one. Babylock machines are really fine, too, so my advice to you would be to try them both out and give LOTS of consideration to the relationship you'll have with the dealer and the support you will need as you learn to use your new machine. Best of luck in making your decision. I don't think you'll go wrong with either choice. Betty
Old 06-10-2013, 10:48 AM

I appreciate everyone's input. This is really helping. It is bringing up other questions for me, lol! For instance a main feature I want is stitch regulation for free motion quilting. I know the Bernina has the BSR. The Babylock dealer told me the zellageo plus has something similar, they just can't call it stitch regulation but it has "fabric sensor". I think that is odd because my grace frame for my frame machine uses something called "sure stitch" and it regulates the stitches for even stitch length. I can't find anything on the Ellageo Plus that appears to regulate stitches. It seems that the fabric sensor only senses the fabric and adjusts the pressure foot based on thickness. How would that ensure even stitching?

Also, what is jump stitch cutter and how important is it? I have never embroidered so don't really understand this term. I see the Bernina 580 has it and the Ellageo Plus doesn't?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 AM

I have the Ellageo sewing/embroidery 2001 model and still performs beautifully.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:26 PM

Jump stitches are when the same color thread goes to another portion of the design. It connects with a long or short thread depending on the distance between. The big ones are quick to trim away but the tiny ones take a bit more time. On my Ellageo I have to trim them away. Some machines automatically cut them. It is not hard to do but it does take a bit of time.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:50 AM

Did you make a decision on your new machine?
Old 06-22-2013, 05:28 AM

I have not made a decision. The baby lock Ellageo Plus does not have stitch regulation and to get that I have to go up to a more expensive model. I can get the Bernina 580 for $5800 and the Babylock would be in the $7000 range. I missed the window for the Bernina sale but the dealer said another will arrive in the fall. I really wanted the Ellageo because of some cool features and it was cheaper than the 580 but my main criteria was stitch regulation.....
so I am torn and don't know what to do!

Last edited by Cogito; 06-22-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:44 AM

Wow, when I called our local Babylock dealer, I was quoted a price of $4000 for the Ellageo Plus.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:58 AM

I don't know either of the machines but for free motion quilting - I would look for the one with the largest throat space - its just another consideration.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:54 AM

The local dealer has a terrific deal on the Ellegante 3 and the price is about the same as the Ellageo. I suspect they will be having the same sort of deal lots of places. It is the model above the Ellageo Plus.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
Wow, when I called our local Babylock dealer, I was quoted a price of $4000 for the Ellageo Plus.
Thats about right. Work a deal. I paid cash and got a good discount. Cant say enough goid things about my Ellagio Plus. I have a very good dealer with an amazing helpful inforned staff. And, someone is always in the store available to answer my stupid questions!

Last edited by snipforfun; 06-22-2013 at 11:36 AM.