Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why am I getting wavy edges on quilt? >

Why am I getting wavy edges on quilt?

Why am I getting wavy edges on quilt?

Old 06-10-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Another suggestion for the next quilt: stay stitch within about an eighth of an inch from the edge, all around your squared up quilt top (especially when there are no borders to help stabilize those edges) before loading it on the frame for quilting.
The seams on the blocks (without stabalizing either with a boarder or stitching) could pull apart enough to cause the wave. I'm sure it will be fine this time.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Another suggestion for the next quilt: stay stitch within about an eighth of an inch from the edge, all around your squared up quilt top (especially when there are no borders to help stabilize those edges) before loading it on the frame for quilting.
This is a great idea. I would like to add that you can use a long, machine, basting stitch a scant 1/4" away from the edge of your quilt top after you do your preliminary squaring, but before you sandwich it. Then, when you do your final measuring and squaring, you can adjust the fullness of the edge of the quilt so that there are no obvious puckers and that it is exactly the correct measurement on all 4 sides. It's a good idea to carefully steam press it after your correct things, which will further ease any fullness along the edge. I've used this method for edges that were up to 2" off and the final product looked great afterwards.
~Cindy