Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My eyes have gone blurry looking - e-reader cover >

My eyes have gone blurry looking - e-reader cover

My eyes have gone blurry looking - e-reader cover

Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 PM

Default My eyes have gone blurry looking - e-reader cover

It appears that what I'm looking for doesn't exist, so I guess I'll have to make it.

I'm looking for a cover for an e-reader with some sort of strap on it that will help me hold it while reading. I have a Sony PRS-650 if it matters.

I'd like it to be light, I find that I don't use the lighted cover because it's too heavy.
Using the reader alone cramps my hand up because I hold it at a weird angle so I can hold and turn pages with one hand.

I'd also like some sort of way to retain the reader in the cover that doesn't include elastic, if at all possible. I find it stretches, and then the reader can take itself for a walk.

What I envisioned was a cover, probably quilted (duh ) that would be thin, like a slip on cover, but with an opening that I could read through, and a "strap" of some sort on the back to hold it with.

DH suggested elastic like on their scanners at work (the ones that bounce off the floors regularly, I might add), I can see why, but it's astheticly displeasing, but I'm completely mentally blocked for design. I've been googling, and looking at Pinterest, and I'm not seeing anything that stirs the creative juices.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or with some of these features in their travels?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Power Poster

The thing that comes to mind would be something like a fitted bed sheet
Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 PM

I have seen people holding iPads with what looks like an elastic strip at the back. I use a normal cover and cut the piece at the back where cards fit cut it and made to stand.
Or using the shape made for iPads so the sit at an angle no hands make your own using stiff card.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:44 AM
Power Poster

the Nancy's Notions catalog has patterns for a number of different 'styles' of e-reader covers.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:55 AM

I've had a Kindle for close to two years now. I purchased a hard cover/case thingy from E-Bay. The unit slides in and the cover opens and closes like a diary. You hold the unit just like you would a book so no more fumbling and dropping for me. A good friend on this board made me a tablet/e-reader fabric pouch that I just love. It's in bright colors so I can find the previously often misplaced Kindle, and also provides added protective when we travel. This cover is of her own design.

Also, the Vera Bradley product line has many different covers for electronic gizmos, along with their purses, wallets, etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:00 AM

My Kindle cover has a wide (3") piece of elastic on it so I can slide my hand in - works great and I've had it for 2 years with no stretching out.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
The thing that comes to mind would be something like a fitted bed sheet
Thanks!, I worry about jettisoning the reader with elastic retention. I'm such a klutz. I managed to drop my iPhone twice today, out of a 4x4 truck, so a pretty good distance. Both times, the otter box defender case I have on it saved the day. In fact, if they made a case for the reader, I might even "live with" the weight... that's part of the reason I wanted it quilted. It hits the floor from time to time when I fall asleep with it, then knock it over, or smacks me in the face and wakes me up. LOL!

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I have seen people holding iPads with what looks like an elastic strip at the back. I use a normal cover and cut the piece at the back where cards fit cut it and made to stand.
Or using the shape made for iPads so the sit at an angle no hands make your own using stiff card.
I will take a peek at amazon. I didn't look at iPad covers, maybe my search was too narrow. I better go get the eye drops.

I had seen those stands and wondered how well they worked, but if I make one, I suppose it's mostly just time if I try it....

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
the Nancy's Notions catalog has patterns for a number of different 'styles' of e-reader covers.
I did a quick google. There are some attractive ones, maybe I'll see if I can find one to modify. Thanks!

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
I've had a Kindle for close to two years now. I purchased a hard cover/case thingy from E-Bay. The unit slides in and the cover opens and closes like a diary. You hold the unit just like you would a book so no more fumbling and dropping for me. A good friend on this board made me a tablet/e-reader fabric pouch that I just love. It's in bright colors so I can find the previously often misplaced Kindle, and also provides added protective when we travel. This cover is of her own design.

Also, the Vera Bradley product line has many different covers for electronic gizmos, along with their purses, wallets, etc.
The cover you describe (the book one) is similar to the one that the Sony has, I just find (especially because the Sony has the built in light too) that it's heavy, even without the batteries, and my wrist (and maybe that's why my elbow) is aching, it couldn't be sewing or computing, surely,...

The VB ones were interesting from a fabric point of view, but very similar in design to most of the book style ones I've seen. Still, maybe the book style would be lighter with the right fabric and batting than what I have. It's worth investigating.

Originally Posted by klgls View Post
My Kindle cover has a wide (3") piece of elastic on it so I can slide my hand in - works great and I've had it for 2 years with no stretching out.
Oh nifty!! Was it sold on Amazon's site or somewhere else? I'd love a peek at it. Some of the kindles look like they're coming into line size wise with the Sony reader, possibly it might fit with a little coaxing...