Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design-A-Quilt   Free-Hander Quilting Machine >

Design-A-Quilt Free-Hander Quilting Machine

Design-A-Quilt Free-Hander Quilting Machine

Old 06-19-2013, 07:08 AM

Hoo boy I just did a bunch more research on that company. You might want to let that machine go to the graveyard and buy a different brand. There's a very good reason that company went out of business. The machines had a tendency to catch fire. The owner, a guy named Dan Puckett, refused to deal with or even talk to his unhappy customers, so one of them took him to court. He filed bankruptcy and opened under a new name. He was at the quilt show in Paducah and saw a quilt made by the quilter who had sued him, and he threw bleach on it. He ended up going to prison. Not sure if he's still in. This was about 2002, I think.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:44 AM

Wow, never heard of anyone going to that extent!

Marysewfun
Old 06-19-2013, 07:49 AM

I have this machine, my repair man said it's a reworked Juki. The parts he uses are from this:
http://www.raichert.com/adobe/DLN415...ion%20book.pdf
I've had mine for several years and have had no serious problems with it.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Have no clue! Sorry!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 PM

There was just a posting on this board last week from someone who designs parts in a program and then sends them to a company that uses a 3D printer and manufacturers the parts. It looked really cool.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:54 PM

I can't believe the wonderful responses I am getting. This has helped me tremendously. Shelby's response was very helpful. The Juki machine looks just like my machine. I'm getting closer and closer to the resolution of my problem, namely, how to order replacement parts. Shelby's reassurance that her machine has proved to be a good machine matches what I have seen in the machine I have. I have never had any problems with it, however, I have not really had much of an opportunity to use it for a good long while, but I am looking forward to working with it. I like the fact that I can sit down and quilt. (I have a bad back.)
Old 06-19-2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Hoo boy I just did a bunch more research on that company. You might want to let that machine go to the graveyard and buy a different brand. There's a very good reason that company went out of business. The machines had a tendency to catch fire. The owner, a guy named Dan Puckett, refused to deal with or even talk to his unhappy customers, so one of them took him to court. He filed bankruptcy and opened under a new name. He was at the quilt show in Paducah and saw a quilt made by the quilter who had sued him, and he threw bleach on it. He ended up going to prison. Not sure if he's still in. This was about 2002, I think.
I thought this was the company and person who was involved with the bleach incident. Thanks, Peckish, for confirming my recollection. I do know that after that incident another company bought out Design a Quilt, but I forget what that company's name is, sorry. I remember several years ago speaking with the new owner on the phone about the bleach incident, but I can't remember who that new owner was...
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 AM

I have one of these machines also that I am selling. Would you want machine for parts. Although it does run.