Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Homemade yogurt.... >

Homemade yogurt....

Homemade yogurt....

Old 06-30-2013, 04:04 AM

and as much I like yogurt! going to have to try this one, oh the starter, would plain yogurt do just as wel as that starter?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:54 AM

For the starter just buy plain yogurt with live cultures in it. I know Dannon has it and I think Stoneyfield does. It will tell you on the carton. This is really simple to make but you really need the powdered milk or it will turn out runny. Wal-Mart sells a smaller box of powdered milk that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:18 PM

I once made homemade yogurt with half and half, and OMG was it good!!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I once made homemade yogurt with half and half, and OMG was it good!!
OH, that sounds deliciously rich! I've made yogurt with every milk thickness but never ventured into the creams. When I make yogurt, I simply heat my milk - hot - then cool to lukewarm, add my starter yogurt, cover the pot and wrap the whole thing in a heating pad and thick towel for the night. Never had it not work. I did try straining it once to make greek yogurt but it was too messy and I lost too much. Once I've made a batch of yogurt, I use some of it to start the next batch. Very much like sourdough!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:36 AM

I got promted on here by the crockpot method to make mine; I love it. I started researching it and the tartness of yogurt can be controlled so I can eat mine without any added sweetness even though I like to add fruit but normally doesn't have additional sugar. I have used 2% and whole milk, with powdered milk added to it. I heat it on the stove because I don't have the patience for the crockpot to heat up to 185 or higher, I add the powdered milk when its heating up so that it desolves better and when it cools back down to 110 I add the yogurt. The first time I just added a small container of plain greek yogurt, the second time I used some of what I made to make my next batch. I have to make more tonight. Since I don't heat mine in the crock pot I put a little water in the crockpot and turn it on high while I'm making the milk mixture and then turn it off. I put the yogurt mixture into two chinese soup containers, the large ones and then put the lid on pot and cover with a towel. 10 to 12 hours later I have thick greek type yogurt. I love the taste because it's good without any additives. I give it to my one little dog who gets yeast infections and even though she wouldn't eat store yogurt without having things added to it; she likes the whole thing. I've been making 1/2 gal at a time but that doesn't get me thru the week so this week I'm making a whole gallon, so that will be 4 large containers of yogurt for about $3 total, I can't beat that even at the commisary.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:44 AM

I do have powdered milk.thanks,will try this.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:35 AM

I make my own yogurt, and then I strain it to make Greek yogurt. I just put a basket coffee filter in a colander over a bowl in the fridge for about 5 hours or overnight and you've got Greek yogurt. When we were doing a kitchen remodel I would just buy plain store-bought yogurt and strain it. You can buy yogurt culture online and I usually will make my next batch using a couple tablespoons from the last batch. I reculture every other batch. I'm sure I could go longer, but I use fresh milk from the farm and would hate to waste it on a batch that didn't turn out.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:30 AM

I haven't made yogurt in a long while.....when I did it for my young kids, I used organic milk and as a starter an organic yogurt like a plain stoneyfield. That was it. I used an extremely large measuring cup and rested it overnight in my then gas oven. With my daughter into greek yogurt, I am going to have to give this another try! Gas oven is long gone so hope it will rest well in the non-gas oven
Old 07-02-2013, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by MothrNatr View Post
I haven't made yogurt in a long while.....when I did it for my young kids, I used organic milk and as a starter an organic yogurt like a plain stoneyfield. That was it. I used an extremely large measuring cup and rested it overnight in my then gas oven. With my daughter into greek yogurt, I am going to have to give this another try! Gas oven is long gone so hope it will rest well in the non-gas oven
I heat my milk first (along with the powered milk) and then put it into the crockpot while it cools and then add the plain yogurt. The powdered milk makes it thick just like greek yogurt. The tanginess of the yogurt depends on how much starter/plain yogurt you add. Then I wrap the crockpot in a towel or two and let it set and it comes out great.