Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lending out your sewing machine. >

Lending out your sewing machine.

Lending out your sewing machine.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

I would say no. I let my young granddaughter sew on one of my vintage mechanicals and let a friend use that one in my house. But I don't like to borrow or lend things in general.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:21 PM

No...my machine is nothing special but it is not for loan to anyone.

My next door neighbor let a family member take her's and it is a very expensive machine and it came back not working. She asked the family member what she did to it and the answer was 'nothing'. Last I heard the machine was in the repair shop and she was paying for it out of her pocket. I told her that is why no one else touches mine and she said but it was a family member and I told her I didn't care who it is...the answer is still 'no'.

I don't share my husband or machine with no one!

Last edited by eyes; 07-04-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:57 PM

NOPE ! I wouldn't loan either of them.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

There are times I would be willing to 'lend' my husband out - - - especially if they would be willing to feed him!

As far as my machines go - I would hesitate. I do have one 'on loan' to someone in Florida - but it's not a machine I care about - If I get it back, fine. If not, oh, well. I didn't look at it very carefully before I bought it - it does work, but it's not a prize machine.

Someone did lend a machine to me - and I got it back to her in the same condition I got it.

Funny thing did happen, though. She had given a sewing machine cabinet (a table one) to me - and I decided I no longer wanted it. I thought I should call her first before making it 'go away' - she retrieved it within a couple of hours!
:-}

Last edited by bearisgray; 07-04-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:45 PM

I think it would depend on the friend and how much she really sews. Sewing machines can be very temperamental and it doesn't take much to send them to the repair shop. My new Janome I'm very protective of.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:52 PM

I wouldn't lend out my machine, never. Everyone sews differently. I watched a friend of mind sewing and all the time pulling the fabric back to line it up, that will ruin the drive of a machine. She sews like this all the time and ruins every machine in no time. I have explained to her but to no avail.....
Old 07-04-2013, 08:12 PM

Sometimes I miss not having friends or family to share my love of sewing with, but a guess the upside is no one will be asking to borrow my sewing machines. With these new computerized machines, you don't just sit down and start sewing without knowing how to use that particular machine. It does amaze me that so many of you have had people who either broke or didn't return your machine. You just never know about someone until you loan something to them.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:01 PM

I have lent out my sewing machine, but not my "Brother" machines, just an older sewing machine. I have taken my Brother to a friend's house and I sewed what needed to be done.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:01 AM

I might let someone sew on my non electronic Janome but only with me in the room. My Janome 6600 or my MC10000 --- NO WAY. I have let BFF, rebeljane, use my overlocker (serger) but that was years ago. Hers was in storage. I'd never let anyone else use it because they can be rather finicky. It's an old style singer which I've had for at least 30 years but I have looked after it. My machine mechanic is impressed with how well it still sews and how clean I keep it.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:15 AM

Uh NO. I spent big money, like the rest of you, on my machine. To be a matter of fact we have a 14 year old visiting and taking a spewing class. We went to Goodwill and bought a Singer 610s for $7.00. She will use that. I also will not let them use my machine at my house. I will do it for them.