Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Polyester thread for potholders >

Polyester thread for potholders

Polyester thread for potholders

Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 AM

Default Polyester thread for potholders

I was just about to top stitch some potholders I just made and I wondered if polyester thread will melt when using the potholder. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:34 AM

I always use 100% cotton thread when making anything like hot pads, place mats,do not want to take a chance
Old 07-09-2013, 11:42 AM

I have made lots of potholders and it never crossed my mind to use cotton. Good thought
Old 07-09-2013, 11:43 AM

I wouldn't, and here's why: I bought some potholders at the $1 store, the ones with the Chefs on them. I took a pan out of the oven and they melted. Seems they used cotton fabric for the decorative side and polyester for the backside. I usually hold onto the "good" side so that I don't get stains on the front when pulling something out of the oven and the mitt touches the food. Learned my lesson. Don't buy potholders without reading the label. Label said cotton front, poly/cotton on back, heat resistant up to 350 degrees. Aren't most things baked at 350 and above?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 AM

Wow, I hope you didn't burn yourself! Was the batting also polyester? I used warm and natural inside my potholders.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:29 PM

I think I used sew all thread by gutterman with polyester on mine and it is still used 3years later. its meant to be used in clothes and we iron clothes and it doesn't melt.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:37 PM

I have even used rayon thread for embroidery on pot holders not problems
Old 07-09-2013, 04:49 PM

I would be careful with potholders, because they are the only thing between you and a hot pan and a potential 3rd degree burn. I was given some potholders made by a group of Down's syndrome patients, and they were heavily quilted with what turned out to be polyester thread. I was taking a hot iron casserole type dish out of the oven, and the polyester thread melted and I ended up with burns on both hands (from two potholders). They weren't serious burns, but they were very uncomfortable.

Polyester thread can melt. The cheaper the thread, it seems, the more likely it is to melt (I did some experiments after my experience). I also worked with the group of Down's Syndrome women in their workshop, and showed them how polyester can melt. I also suggested they start using that thermal batting that insulates so well (Thermal Brite???) Eventually, all they made were 100% cotton potholders, and advertised them as "safe at higher temperatures", so they actually ended up selling more potholders. The local university provided the "expert scientific testing" that backed up the safety of the potholders. It seems that a lot of people have concerns over safe potholders! Good story, isn't it!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:07 PM

I wouldn't worry about the thread as it pretty much sinks into the mitt or potholder. However if the batting is too thin (whether polyester or cotton) that is a major problem because it won't protect as it should.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 AM

I make hot pads to sell in my etsy shop, and sometimes at boutiques. I use only cotton fabric, batting and thread. I don't want someone to get burned. I have been burned way too often with hot pads from the stores, and I won't take any more chances.