Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you remember when..?  Test >

Do you remember when..? Test

Do you remember when..? Test

Old 07-17-2013, 07:41 AM

I'm older than dirt, and speaking of dirt....a summertime treat when we were playing outdoors, on hot days we'd go into a particular backyard and pull plum tomatoes off the vine, give them a quick wipe on our short and enjoy them. No tomato has ever tasted as good since and guess what -- nobody died! No washing needed. The garden owners' daughter was in our group and we had her parents' permission to take whatever we wanted whenever we wanted.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Nickel candy bars cost $1.00 now.
Penny candy was worth bothering with.
If one got $0.25 an hour for baby-sitting - those people paid well!
We brought milk in to the house in glass gallon jars that we begged from restaurants. The cream layer would be 3 to 4 inches thick.
We used textbooks for several years at school - and we were NOT supposed to mutilate the books in any way.
The boys had three organized sports during the year - football, basketball, and baseball. Most of the uniform belonged to the school, and the player was issued that uniform (or parts of it) for the season and returned it when the season was over.
White paste smelled minty, and we were issued a dollop for projects. Some people ate it.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:14 AM

Oh man, I remember them all except the milk being delivered to the door......and that is only because in a town of 250 people our milk came directly from the cow!!!! Home delivery, what was that???!!! (Oh, I heard that the folks in the "big city" got their milk that way, but not us!!) Yah, the good old days..... lots of great memories!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:26 AM

Another 100% here. The good old days? Yes, but I do like my AC, indoor plumbing and numerous other amenities.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:30 PM

I'm 67 and qualify for the older than dirt range. Some of the things I remember are from my grandparents' house such as the wash tub wringer. I can actually remember helping her put the clothes through the wringer. My uncle and aunt had a summer camp for boys during the summer months in Arkansas. My grandparents would stay up there during the camp period to help out. One of the cabins had a wood fire stove. My grandmother would cook on it since she remembered it from her childhood days. My aunt laughingly said Granny was the only one who knew how to cook on it.

Thanks for posting this. It brought back many memories.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:57 PM

I do believe I remember most. Turning 80 next month.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:27 PM

Well I'm older than dirt too....I remember all of them. I will be 79 in October. What a really much better time in so many ways...
Old 07-17-2013, 04:34 PM

I may be older than dirt. But, God made dirt, and dirt don't hurt
Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 PM

Ok dirt was named after me too! I don't remember the butch wax but I think that was what the "hoods" as we called them in Louisville, slicked their hair with like Elvis or Fonzy. And we did get home milk delivery in a little insulated tin box that sat on the back porch, I just don't remember cardboard stoppers, ours had pressed on foil type lids. Just call me dirt!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:45 PM

Black Jack and Clove Gum yes but don't forget the "Teabury Gum" too. Thanks for the memories. Guess I'm older that dirt too because I remember them all. And yes Butch wax was for the guys hair....made crew cuts stand up straight and did the Elvis thing too. They also used Brylcream. I remember getting in trouble for drinking the cream off the top of the milk because that was for the coffee. lol