Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
HOME DÉCOR SWAP #2 - entry closes April 19, 2013 >

HOME DÉCOR SWAP #2 - entry closes April 19, 2013

HOME DÉCOR SWAP #2 - entry closes April 19, 2013

Old 07-18-2013, 01:49 PM

Default You hoo

YOU HOO!!!! Oh Elisabrat - there you are; I thought I would hop in and say 'Hey'
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jackalope.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	424607  
Old 07-18-2013, 06:15 PM

OK, I learned something today. I didn't know rabbits sprayed. I thought that was just a cat & skunk & octopus thing. Never seen a jackalope in person, except the occasional head on the wall. Can you tell I've been sticking to traditional house pets? I would love to have a sugar glider though. My brother used to have one. He was so cute!

I'd settle for another miniature poodle though. Ginger was supposed to be my ex's dog, but she decided she was mine instead. When he was home, you could tell her to go to bed and she'd go stay in her crate all night. But when he was gone, she'd wait until the house was dark and she thought I was asleep and she'd come scratch at the bedskirt, and if I didn't tell her to go back to bed, she'd jump up and nuzzle her way under the covers & flop down up against me and there she stayed all night.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:10 AM

Dabbler thank you, that is the one I saw a bunch in town and it appears as if they are all smiling. I want a smiling jackalope. Why can't I have a jackalope? someone else has a jackalope. lol (the kid in me had to say that you know).

Well I still wait for my package from queenof2802. waiting, waiting waiting..
Old 07-21-2013, 05:21 AM

hey almost left out the next treasure that came to me. squirrel skulls, snake skins and beaver pelts. Ok I pick the man up from fishing he comes to the window and says YOU CANT KEEP because it smells really bad but check this out.. he hold ups a little antelope leg. I CANT KEEP IT? oh shoot. omg.. thank God it smelled. that was NOT going in the collection. Yesterday driving home from fishing he says back up a few feet. so I do. He gets out of the truck goes to see something in the road and brings it to the window. A DEER LEG. still ripe so he had to toss that one too. Holy Heck this country stuff while it has some rewards can be hard on my décor if this doesn't stop. What a goofball! sigh.. love that man too but his taste in gifts is well a bit .. left of center. way left of center. wonder if he knows what a flower shop is? nah why give those average gifts when you can bring her an antelope leg?
Old 07-21-2013, 05:58 AM

Doesn't look to me like he's smiling. It looks more like a "rut row raggy, rey rot a run" (translation "uh oh Shaggy, they got a gun") kind of look. The guy who used to be my ex's partner who I do bookkeeping for is a big hunting & fishing fanatic, and he has a stuffed wild turkey in his office. Imagine if you will, a room in utter chaos, which looks like it's never been vacuumed, swept, or dusted in the 6 or so years that a construction contractor has used it for his office. Paperwork and house plans everywhere, the typical stuff. I go in there to work, and I don't touch anything really except what I use, because I don't get paid to clean. So I go in there one day, and I've been there probably an hour. I get up to get something off the printer on the filing cabinet to my right, and that's when I see a turkey staring at me from the floor next to the door. I wonder if they heard me squeal in the next building when it startled me. I'd walked past it and hadn't noticed it when I came in, and it looked so alive that it scared the mess out of me. Took me a minute to realize it was stuffed. I sent him a text message that I'd met his new friend, and after I got over him scaring me to death, we were getting along just fine. He showed up at the office a little later and says "Is that mouse back?" I about came unglued. I told him it was a good thing that I was finished for the day by the time he told me that, because I had to go if there was a mouse in his office. He tried to give me the "he don't eat much" speech, but I wasn't having it.

When I was a teenager, I spent some time at Camp Tracy Children's Home. When I came home, my stepmother had turned my bedroom into storage and had my stuff packed up in boxes and put in an old trailer that was being stored on the property where we lived, which was also where my dad's RV repair and storage business was. My mattress & box springs were still in the room, but she'd given away my bed frame and nightstand (I had never had a dresser or headboard, but while I was gone, both her kids who still lived at home got new bedroom suits). Well, my stepbrother and I went and dug out my stuff & brought it back up to the house and took all the crap out to where it should have been stored in the bed empty room on the front of the house. In the process, we found out there were mice all over in that trailer, and they'd gotten in some of my stuff. Next thing you know, we had them in the house, and here I was sleeping on a matress & box springs on the floor. I kept a towel stuffed under my door at all times, but I was laying in bed one night and someone got up and went in the bathroom, which was right next to my room, and I'm sitting there looking at the tiniest amount of light coming in under the door when I see it move and realize there's something out there. I turn on my light just in time to see a mouse come out from under the door and run in my closet. I screamed and jumped up on the bed, not that it'd have done any good that low to the ground, and my dad opens the bedroom door & out the door I went. I slept on the couch that night. The next day he finally went and bought traps. The 3 kids sat in the living room while he put them out, then he comes in and sits with us and tells us to be quiet. It wasn't 2 minutes before we heard the first trap go off. Then it was snap snap snap all over. He emptied the traps into a plastic grocery bag hung on the back door and put them back out and we did it again. We stopped counting at 26 mice. I hated that house. I hated who I lived there with too, the step-folks anyway. I was only back there 6 months before I moved out, and 6 weeks later I moved to Alabama with my ex-husband.

Living there was almost as much fun as when we lived with my mom's boyfriend in 4th and 5th grade, where we all slept in old hospital beds in a house with no carpet that was mid-remodel but was never finished, where I'd wake up in the middle of the night with a roach crawling on me. Of course, I was at the other end of the house from everyone else, so nobody heard me scream.

I'm so glad that the men in my life since have been as adamant about no bugs and wild critters in the house as I have. However, Dusty did have a lizard he caught in the yard as a pet for a while, but I'm OK with them & frogs.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:25 AM

OMG I would have died! Absolutely hate mice, had one in the house last month and went crazy for a day until Bill caught it. He has this habit of sometimes leaving the door open that comes into the house from the garage. His critters, mainly deer heads reside in his shop. He can collect all he wants as long as they're not on "my" walls. I do have 2 king salmon on a wall downstairs though, that's a good memory of going to Alaska and besides that mine is bigger. Have to do those bragging rights every once in awhile. Plus I like fish and love the water. Think I better come back as one in my next life, just never to get caught like the big one that got away.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:30 AM

I remember that I'm the giant to a little mouse and set a trap. I can deal with mice - I can't deal with snakes.

Got back from another shopping trip yesterday - we went to Country Threads - they have a fabulous collection of civil war fabrics and lots of small quilts on display - they also have wool projects and needle punching. I picked up a rug loom that I've been wanting since my last visit a year ago - they make the nicest heavy duty rag rugs - it takes about 15 yards to make one rug - YEA I'll be able to put my ugly fabric to good use. If you have a chance to look up Country Threads on line I'm sure you'll like their story. After we left the quilt shop we went into Clear Lake to the mercantile store - fun shop - sort of like going into an old five and dime; we also visited a few antique stores and then went into the Meat Cheese and Spice shop. OMG - I had the best Key-Lime ice cream cone - I usually go for the chocolate brownie ice cream but the gentleman suggested key lime and gave me a sample - it's now my new summer favorite. It was a fun day.

Today is my daughter in law's birthday - we're celebrating with simple grilled hamburgers and hotdogs - potato salad and pork and beans. A great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

You all have a wonderful day.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:59 AM

ladies, i hate to spoil things, but i pretty much like all animals except skinks. i'm not saying i want them all in my house, but only skinks give me the heeby-jeebies! i've had mice, rats, a ferret, a chinchilla, guinea pigs, hedge hog, ball python, tarantula, lizards, hissing cockroaches and all sorts of others. my dh taught biology, and as proof he brought his work home i got preggers with daniel during his sex ed rotation. i taught pre-school and would take some of the beasties to my class. did you know girls aren't naturally afraid of animals till about 5th grade. then since they've noticed boys they fing all the other creepy crawlers creepy.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
ladies, i hate to spoil things, but i pretty much like all animals except skinks. i'm not saying i want them all in my house, but only skinks give me the heeby-jeebies! i've had mice, rats, a ferret, a chinchilla, guinea pigs, hedge hog, ball python, tarantula, lizards, hissing cockroaches and all sorts of others. my dh taught biology, and as proof he brought his work home i got preggers with daniel during his sex ed rotation. i taught pre-school and would take some of the beasties to my class. did you know girls aren't naturally afraid of animals till about 5th grade. then since they've noticed boys they fing all the other creepy crawlers creepy.

I usually like most animals and bugs as well - I was more of a tomboy growing up - my dad took all my dolls and stuffed animals away from me when I was five and burned them - told me I was too old to play with dolls. I didn't have much use for toys after that. Helped my brother with his bug collection and chased after butterflies - I still haven't figured out where the butterflies go in the rain - it was storybook I got when I was in first grade. Guess you're right about not liking bugs after you notice boys - boys can save you from the evil beasties - NOT!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:41 AM

I got my roach fear and my spider fear about the same time, when I was about 5-6 years old. Daddy told me how they carried diseases and nasty germs and pooped on everything & that's all it took. If Daddy said it was nasty & I should stay away from it, that's what I did. He caught a black widow once, and mother wouldn't let him kill it, so it went to live at the local museum. It made its ride to its new home in the hatchback of mother's Mustang, in a jar wrapped in a towel. About the same time, I woke up one night & my parents were still up watching this movie, and when I came in the room, on the movie there was a lady sleeping in this bed while spiders came from every direction, covering her bed and attacking her. There were no remote controls back then, so there was no clicking it off quickly. The trauma was done to my little mind and I stood there screaming and crying for the woman. Yep, between all that, I was scarred for life, lol.

Mario found out firsthand just how scared I am of big spiders not too long ago. It was a big nasty one, and it ran across the floor in front of me and hid under the entertainment center. I squealed and scrambled to the other end of the couch and when he told me he couldn't find it, I was in tears. The entertainment center is next to our bedroom door and all I could think about was it crawling on me in my sleep. I'm sitting here about to cry just thinking about it!