Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
July 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!! >

July 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!

July 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:19 AM

Thank you Vanogay, that is very inciteful. This weekend, I did enjoy my birthday cake, one piece which put me into a sugar plunge (sleep). I don't eat much sugar because it does make me sleepy. I know, the opposite unless you have to watch for hypogycemia. I enjoyed pasta veggie salad, a little potatoe salad, and some cabbage coleslaw. So good that one is. Just high in sodium because of the soy sauce in it. Then had a polish dog. I so hope I did not make any of you hungry there. Watched it close though. I made a couple gallons of sun tea which was so good. I have also been off coffee since Friday. A little sluggish and the headaches came back. Going to have to figure something out. I do not do headaches well and the caffine does help. I will be sure to divide up my daily dose of calories and remember to eat in the morning. I am not usually hungry until about 10:00 am. Then to eat at night, I try to finish by 5:30 or 6:00 to be sure to have food digested before sleeping. Happy to report, nothing gained over the weekend, even though I did snitch on some potatoe chips. Was all good.
The kids even got us a weekend away at Coeur D'Alene Resort. Are they good to us or what?!!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:11 PM

I decided my grandson needs a new quilt for his big boy bed. He just turned 3 and they are on vacation right now so I haven't given him a birthday gift yet. I just decided he needs this quilt yesterday. Someone posted it i=on the board about a year ago. She sent me the pattern. It has trucks on it (15) with roads for the sashings. THe borders look like road signs. I would like to have quite a bit finished when they get home Saturday. I have 7 trucks finished now. Gotta get sewing.
My 2 boys and DD are out for the evening. They went to the local bar to play pool. I might have to pick them up later. They are meeting up with few other friends I hope they don't stay out too late. My DS has to work in the morning. Other Ds is planning on smoking a brisket tomorrow. Sounds yummy. Hope I can behave myself. There wasn't any spinning class today, I missed going. Teacher is out of town and several other instructors are gone too. No sub available. Gotta go in the morning.
Pat
Old 07-22-2013, 08:15 PM

One of those rush around days where nothing constructive gets done. It's hard to eat right at those times. Actually, I had chicken Cordon Bleu (my way) in the fridge, but I never got around to eating it. I made it for a friend today and kept one piece for me. He got all the blueberry upside down cake. I have no interest in anything blueberry except Greek yogurt. I meant to call my daughter and get some rhubarb so I can make another friend his favorite cake. Mine stopped growing with the heat, but she waters more than I do so hers is nice.

Pam, your trip sounds wonderful. Pat, I wish I had your ambition when it comes to quilting. It seems like it takes forever to finish anything now. Maybe my life will return to some semblance of normal soon. Tomorrow I have to work on my ex's application for Medicaid again. Grrr.

A few days until the end of month weigh in and and less than two weeks until my class reunion. Maybe I'll try my fitness pal.com again. Nothing keeps you legal like having to record everything you put in your mouth.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 AM

Took the dogs for a walk yesterday. It was good to get moving. The scales are finally budging! and moving in the right direction. Yeah!!

I've been cutting down on my coffee and am drinking enough water.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:45 AM

Irish yes life gets hectic at times. Hopefully things will settle down soon. I was doing that the last couple of months. Things are still hectic around here. My Ds is here from Japan which makes things crazy. He is currently making a mess in my kitchen, going to make a brisket on the grill today. He drinks way too much coffee and is too wound up. He will be 27 in 2 weeks. Still acts like a little kid at times. Chicken cordon bleu sounds wonderful. I have been wanting to make that.
My DS went fishing most of the day yesterday so I got some things done. Cleaned up the house a little, beer bottles everywhere. If they don't start picking them up I am going to put them in their beds. Then I went upstairs for a while and sewed on my GS quilt. The trucks are so cute. I also have been commissioned to make 2 baby quilts. Trying to come up with a price. I am never sure what to charge. The fabric for one of them is about $70 I figure. If I charge per hour of course no one could afford it. The other quilt she wants to wait to see the sex of the baby and wants me to make it out of her moms old scrubs. I suggested she look online at patterns.
I am going to spinning today. No class yesterday since there was not sub for the teacher. Also shopped for a gravestone for my dad yesterday. Good grief I don't think I can afford to die. Everything is so expensive.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:00 AM

Good morning ladies,

I had a productive weekend, got the binding sewing on, now need to hand sew it down on the back. Worked on some quilt blocks for swaps. Also the house got cleaned with help, now will just have to keep it up. I will be having her come once a month to do the floors and bathroom, which is hard for me to do.

I have done the yellow brick road pattern for most of the baby quilts I have done, and sold them for 125-150 depending on the cost of the fabric.

My weight has been up and down, so I don't think I am in the running for winning the pot of batiks. Now remember that the last few months the winners lost less than 10 lbs, so don't forget to send me your loss at the end of the month no matter how little.

have a great day and don't stress out, keep up your hard work for the goals you have.

CindyA moving in the right direction is always good.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 AM

Unless we have new members this month under 10 could win. It's that first week when the losses are bigger that's such a help. Years ago when I went to WW, the new members dropped 6 or 7 pounds the first week and the older members cheered, but also felt discouraged. Remember slow and steady wins the race - but maybe not the FQs. Personally as much as I'd enjoy opening a squishy of batiks, I am truly just glad to be losing and not gaining. I am doing this to improve my health - my feet would love to carry around a few less pounds. If you think a 2 pound loss isn't much, try to hide two pounds of butter on your body - and carry them all day. Even that amount gets heavy after a while.

I need to get the new borders on the 'commissioned' job. I rebuilt the corners - the miter didn't leave enough to just use the binding as a narrow border without some trickery - no fabric available. The next issue is the mitered cornered - why did I help her choose a stripe for the border?? Adding batting will be easy, then I need to figure out the best way to add the backing. One step at a time.

I cleaned my closet and still can't get everything back in. I need to go through again without the 'I might need it someday' mentality. There is someone who needs half these clothes, purses, etc worse than I do. SA, Second Chance (for women's shelter) and Goodwill always need donations.

Pat, picking up after children of any age would not sit well. I think putting them in the beds is a great idea. "If you liked the bottle so much you can't bear to put in the recycle, then you can just sleep with it".

My chicken is fake, but very good. Pound split breasts thin, layer with sliced ham and swiss cheese. Roll. Sauce is C of Chicken soup. lowfat sour cream, garlic powder, chopped ham slice, cheese slice and pepper - no salt. No breading, no browning, so it's easy.

Have a satisfying day - whatever that is for your situation.

I AM losing weight and becoming healthier.
Judy

Last edited by irishrose; 07-23-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:53 PM

I've been feeding my emotions and was up 1.8 today at my weigh in. My best friend's husband passed away suddenly Thursday night of a heart attack. He was already in the hospital because he had a problem with his heart. The doctors had put in a pacemaker so they could do bypass surgery. He was sitting up in bed, talking and laughing with family and friends when he went into cardiac arrest. He died despite the efforts to save him. He was 71. When I get upset, I want ice cream. I guess that's my "drug" of choice. After weighing today, I told my counselor I just didn't care anymore about dieting or what I looked like or how I felt. She just looked at me and said..."I care about you! You're just feeling this way now because of your friend's situation". I started crying and realized I do care, I'm just sad. I talked to my friend this afternoon and she is sad but doing okay. Please keep her in your prayers for the next few days. Her name is Teresa.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

How many of you are emotional eaters when you do eat something you didn't want to? I am one.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:25 PM

Teddybear Lady, I'm so sorry. This is very sad.

I eat all the time but eat more during emotionally difficult times. Ice cream and other sweets have always been a favorite, but if they're not available I'll fill in with whatever I can get. Controlling it is even more difficult when I'm physically tired, like at the end of the day.