Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 07-25-2013, 02:44 PM

I agree with Louise. When I do FSL I use the same color for the bobbin as the top thread. It stands out better than using the white fine embroidery thread for the bobbin, but like Louise said, it is a personal preference.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:47 AM

Yesterday I had the opportunity to attend a FREE demonstration/lecture on basic machine embroidery. The instructor was very good. She showed so many features on a high end embroidery machine and most apply to about all embroidery machines. She explained the different stabilizers and the whys of when and how to use them. I learned so much and had a very good time. It was designed for anyone who has any brand of embroidery machine.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:25 AM

I have a stabilizer question. I want to embroider baby quilt blocks that have an outline-type design with many small spaces so I could not pick all of the tear-away stabilizer out if I use tear-away. I do not want to cut-away around the design so the edge of the cut-away would show around the design on the block. Could I...Should I...:
leave the cut-away the same size as the block and quilt over it? If so, what cut-away type and thickness?
use fabric wash-away?
...???
I will appreciate your recommendations. I used tear-away when I had denser designs on some quilt blocks and I have used embroidery to 'quilt' some areas and did not use any stabilizer on the sandwich, but I would like to have these baby squares embroidered before I start to add other blocks for the quilt top.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Gee Hope View Post
I have a stabilizer question. I want to embroider baby quilt blocks that have an outline-type design with many small spaces so I could not pick all of the tear-away stabilizer out if I use tear-away. I do not want to cut-away around the design so the edge of the cut-away would show around the design on the block. Could I...Should I...:
leave the cut-away the same size as the block and quilt over it? If so, what cut-away type and thickness?
use fabric wash-away?
...???
I will appreciate your recommendations. I used tear-away when I had denser designs on some quilt blocks and I have used embroidery to 'quilt' some areas and did not use any stabilizer on the sandwich, but I would like to have these baby squares embroidered before I start to add other blocks for the quilt top.
This is probably soooo technically incorrect that many embroiderers out there will be cringing when they read it, but it seems to work for me. I use a very light weight knit iron on interfacing and cover the back of the block, especially when I'm using white fabric. Actually, I am doing flannel right now and still use the interfacing over all. For the actual embroidery, I hoop WSS and the fabric, and then have been putting another piece of WSS on the top. Stitch the design and rinse out the stabilizer. The designs I am using are not densely sewn, but are more open like redwork designs and I am not noticing any distortion. I have measured both before and after and there is no change in the size of the block. I get the interfacing about 5 yards at a shot at Joann's with a 50% off coupon. May be all wrong, but hey - it works great for me! Jane
Old 07-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Banned

I have used the Floriani Stitch n wash and just love the way
it works.

I used it on a "redwork" embroidery block recently on the bottom
the results were that after I did the "tear away" it left the rest inside
of the design area to which I soaked it in water and it started softening
or "breaking down" the fibers of the stabilizer. It was fairly easy to go
in and tear away the larger areas but the rest would wash away in a
few washings.

This worked wonderfully for me on a couple towels that I made for a
friend.

Other people might have some other ideas also. I just mention this
kind of stabilizer because I really like the way it works.

use fabric wash-away?
...???
Old 07-28-2013, 08:09 AM

BJayne, I always use the same thread on the top and bottom. I've tried the bobbin thread and don't care for it. If I'm doing FSL or my bottom thread will show on the top then I use the same color but if it doesn't show then I don't worry about the color. There are many ways to do it and if you go to classes with different teachers they all have what works for them and that's what you need to do. I just try to make sure the thread weight and type match, not necessarily the brand name.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

use fabric wash-away?
...???
If you are going to sandwich it, then yes, you can use a sheer cut away and just leave it on. I always do with great success! I sew my block seams with the stabilizer still on then quilt.

If you are not going to sandwich it, then I recommend a wash away.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:07 PM

Just wanted to share what I made today. This was embroidered on a white hand towel for my daughter. In several weeks she will be moving with her boyfriend and wants to make the guest bathroom Americana. She had fun watching it embroider out (no unfortunately she doesn't like to sew) but I think it came out beautiful!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	america the beautiful hand towel 002.JPG
Views:	786
Size:	513.2 KB
ID:	426717  
Old 07-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

Great job! That turned out beautiful.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:46 AM
Swap Hosts

Very cute towel and nicely done, too!