High Efficiency Washers

Old 07-29-2013, 09:08 AM

Thank you so much for the information. Like to hear from people with real life experiences using HE machines.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

As a personal choice, I don't buy GE products but I ended up with a new washer and dryer GE Profile set. Top loading washer. I don't have dirty clothes to wash, just worn clothes so it does a good job. It would stop when I opened the lid and do all sorts of crazy things, seemed to start over or go crazy. I didn't care and still don't, I don't baby the thing at all (remember I don't care for GE products), I kept changing settings, or opening the lid during a cycle to do something and now I can open the lid anytime during the cycle and it picks right back up. I guess the computer compensated for all the disruptions. What I do really like about it is it has a handwash cycle. It swishes very gently. I can now wash fabric and not have any threads at all to untangle. Even precuts don't ravel.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

My Maytag washer and dryer are about 7-8 years old. Think when I replace them it will be with a whirlpool. Had that before. I don't want to get a front loader. Whatever will have to fit into the place I have for it. When I want to pre soak I stop the wash and set a timer and turn back on. Works like a charm.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
As a personal choice, I don't buy GE products but I ended up with a new washer and dryer GE Profile set. Top loading washer. I don't have dirty clothes to wash, just worn clothes so it does a good job. It would stop when I opened the lid and do all sorts of crazy things, seemed to start over or go crazy. I didn't care and still don't, I don't baby the thing at all (remember I don't care for GE products), I kept changing settings, or opening the lid during a cycle to do something and now I can open the lid anytime during the cycle and it picks right back up. I guess the computer compensated for all the disruptions. What I do really like about it is it has a handwash cycle. It swishes very gently. I can now wash fabric and not have any threads at all to untangle. Even precuts don't ravel.
Never thought about using handwash for fabric, but not to have threads and it tangle up so bad, what a great idea. You need to put this on ideas, so simple, genius you are.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I have had a Whirlpool Duet for about 6 years, too. I am going to get rid of it. It is so sensitive to sudsing. I use HE detergent and less than half of the recommended amount and I still get sudsing. Sometimes the water won't spin out of the fabrics and I'm left with a washer of soggy wet clothes that aren't properly rinsed. Yes I run the clean cycle regularly, no the hoses are not kinked and yes I wipe out the ring etc. Mildew has never been a problem.

My next machine is going to be a Speed Queen. I have one in the barn to wash towels for the cows--heavy duty use and gets the towels clean!

I have enjoyed hearing about everyone's experiences. As a dairy farmer/farm wife I deal with dirt--the kind most of us don't want to smell let alone have to clean! When I first had my machine I enjoyed how it worked, but over time the sudsing issue has been a real hassle and don't think the Duet is worth the $$$ I paid for it.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinglady-1 View Post
I think that if I could, I would buy an old wringer style.
Speaking from experience. . . you don't want one of those.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom View Post
I have a Whirlpool duet sport. It's HE. The only drawback that I see to the front loader washer is if you dye fabrics or wool felting- you can't do that in them, so I'm told. I have had mine for a number of years now-6- and I really love them. You have to wipe out the inside seal constantly or you get a musty smell from the water sitting in the seal.
I too have this washer and wiped the seal when I first got it. Now I never wipe out the inside seal and get no smell. I just leave the door open a little bit and the seal dries out by itself. I also open the detergent drawer to let it air out and dry. I do clean the washer with Afresh when it machine lets me know it is time. I love my machine. I bought the dryer and the pedestals so I don't have to bend down so far to use the machines.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:46 PM

I have one of the first Maytag front loaders. I have never (to date) had a sudsing issue (my Mom had an old Bendix that I used to have to watch for her in case someone put too much detergent in). I have had some mold issues with the seal, but the clothes don't smell and I can keep the drum odor free if DH doesn't keep shutting the door. I can soak in mine. I do clean mine periodically -- hot water and chlorox bleach work well and I always wash with vinegar (the smell from fabric softener gives me migraines).

Don't want a top loader (even though I would LOVE to be able to dye in the washer) because I need a stepladder to crawl into the thing (sigh). Don't know what I'll do when this gives up the ghost.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:07 PM

My washing machine finally died a couple weeks ago. It was an older top loading Kenmore. It had 3 cycles but got my clothes clean. I bought a Samsung top loader from Lowes. It was the brand/model they sold that had the highest customer satisfaction and least call backs for repairs. So far, I do like it. It is super quiet and you hardly hear it work. The lid does lock but I can open it by pushing the "PAUSE" button. I don't think it gets our clothes quite as clean as my old Kenmore. I do wish it came with an owner's manual though. I don't like trial and error with an appliance as expensive as these new machines are.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:19 PM

Default washer

Romanojg Thanks i will have to check into this. I tell my husband that it looks like there is hardly any water in the tub. But when i wash my small bathroom rugs there is a lot of water. It looks like it depends what you put in it. Thanks again Connecticut quilter (Dolores)