Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Hoarder Confession!! >

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 AM

Quit talking about me!!!!
I have threatened to unload the walk-in pantry and put all my fabric in there. Nice shelves, not too deep. Then I would have room to sew in the sewing room, maybe.

I am trying to use at least one piece of fabric from the stash when I start another project. This does not always work because the tones don't match. I have file boxes of Christmas, whites, purples, and greens. Those fabrics you pick up because they are a good buy.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 AM

Growing up with a mother who hoarded anything sewing specific I realized yes I love having a stash, which I use all of the time but it does not rule my life or take over all of my house. Therefore I love to share what I have with friends and appreciate those friends sharing with me as well. Remember whatever you bring in you must produce items to go out. I love producing quilts, craft items and anything useful for the home and family.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 AM

I also have way too much personal fabric, but I also expect to have another 20 years of quilting; I consider it my Fabric IRA. I bought it while I was working because I knew my husband would object to buying it in retirement. I did stop buying fabric on speculation (not knowing what I would do with it) about 8 or 9 years ago. At that point, I had more than a bolt of a focus fabric that I totally loved and still love, and collected only fabric to go with that for an eventual series of quilts. That collection is complete now, and one of the few additions would be a second focus fabric with the same colors. When I get off the computer, I'll be working on those.

I also have a good deal of donated fabric since I've been making charity quilts for 18 years and people know that and give me fabric, usually scraps. I use it to make between 20 and 63 quilts in any given year.

However, I have a small house and 9X15' sewing room and they are overrun with fabric. I may give some to the local guild to use for charity quilts or find a church group with whom to sew and give fabric.

There is a thing as too much fabric, sadly. Or is that just too little time? Or maybe not enough storage space?

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 07-29-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:21 AM

In addition to collecting fabric, I am also a thriftaholic, so I already knew I was in trouble before my adult daughter said "Mom, it's not that I think you are going to die any day soon, but I sure don't want to be stuck going thru all of your stuff."
Old 07-29-2013, 09:41 AM

NO! Give it to your local guild or women's quilting groups (churches sometimes have groups) The guild can either sell it to their members as a fundraiser for community service or they can make quilts for needy organizations. We make preemie quilts, American Hero quilts, displaced family quilts, quilts for kids who are taken into child protection services, and so forth.
Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
I spent yesterday organizing my fabrics in the hopes of finding my scallop ruler tucked somewhere in between. No luck on finding the ruler, but I did set aside all of my brown fabric because I just don't like brown any more and can't see myself using it for anything. Those of you who donate your fabric, do you just bag it up and give it to Goodwill?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:03 AM

I love the term "fabric cemetery". Gives me more incentive to downsize!!!

Originally Posted by auntlucy View Post
I was standing in my craft closet one day and the question suddenly nagged me---Is this a fabric stash or a fabric cemetery? Gotta work on sifting through and donating what I will never use and also on completing UFO's.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM

My son & his family were here last week & he told me I was borderline hoarder. I no longer hit the fabric shops for the last 6 months, BUT I keep going to the for sale items on the forum. Not good for me trying not to buy. I just can't stay away from this sale section. :~( :~)
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

I am not quite in the hoarding category but closing in on it rapidly. lol Check this thread to read about our "wagon" and our attempts to stay on it: http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...m-t209802.html
Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 AM

You are not alone. I come by it naturally, my mom is currently trying to downsize her house and has found stashed all over the place, yarn, fabric, thread and all sorts of crafty stuff. I have collected all my fabric in one place and it is a small stash, but still a stash of stuff that I doubt I will use. You are in good company.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
Confessional time ........
I have decided today, that I am a fabric Hoarder - and I am going to stop!!!! I will never in many lifetimes complete all the projects that I have hidden in totes, drawers, closets, attics, trunk of car. My goal for this fall and winter, is take all the fabric that I will never use (you know the kind, the stuff from yard sales, auctions, thrift stores,etc) and donate it. When I was first starting to hoard and quilt, I hunted down fabric - not project specific, just fabric, lots of it. Not the best quality, in colors that I do not like any longer. Even if I remove 50-100 yards of fabric, I still will not have enough years left to make the projects that are left. Seriously, am I the only one who realizes that "enough is enough'?
well I'm trying to get some more fabric. If you do decide to donate it , you can donate it to me. ehhhhee I'll even pay postage. hehehhe