Orthodic Inserts

Old 07-22-2013, 04:32 AM

Just throwing this out there.....worked for years on concrete floors...for me the New Balance shoes worked great...
Old 07-22-2013, 06:12 AM

Just happened to find this post. I've worked in factories for almost 20 yrs. All my jobs were standing or moving within the production areas, 8 to 12 hrs on 7 day shifts. A sports med. dr advised the top of the line New Balance if I wasn't going to spend over $300 for orthotics, which the insurance wouldn't pay for. After trying many types of sportswear shoes (before going to heavy orthopedic shoes) I bought a pair of Skechers to replace my shoes that I wore at home. I found that I could wear them right out of the box, no breaking in, wonderful support and cushioning. Since my areas at work didn't require steel-toed shoes, I wore them to work the next shift. Could not believe the difference in my feet and legs when I returned home! No achy legs or feet! As a Supervisor on my last job, I walked over 6 miles a shift, just back and forth in the factory during the shift (we didn't have comfy desks on the production floor), so I bought 2 pair of black Skechers and alternated every day. I'm not a little person by no means, and am convinced that my Skechers saved my feet from those horrible concrete floors!
Of course, not everyone's feet are the same, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth for your consideration. I still buy them (in white for everyday) online from the Skecher sites, Footsmart or sites where they sell nursing shoes, whenever they are on sale. That way I'll never be without a pair, should they discontinue my favorites. Hope my experience will help someone else.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 AM

I have had orthotic inserts, and the problem with them is that they move around if they aren't permanently attached to your shoe, and if you put the inserts in your regular shoes, it moves your foot up just enough so that the backs of your shows are at the wrong spot and then THAT hurts. If you really need supportive shoes for your job, I'd suggest getting the shoes that are already made for your particular issues, not getting inserts.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:51 PM

I wear Chaco shoes from REI or buy online at Chaco.com. They fit my high arch perfect and are very comfortable, hold the foot secure. They are sold as hiking shoes. I have worn them about 7 years. About 35 years ago I bought orthotics at the L A. County fair. They were expensive but my thinking is my feet are very important and if they hurt I can't do the work I need to do. When they wore out I saw an infomercial on TV that looked like the same arch supports so I ordered them and they sold for just a fraction of the original brand. I put them in all of my other shoes and I can walk all day and my feet never hurt. I might say it took me a couple weeks to get used to wearing them. The Chaco'si wear areZ1
Old 07-22-2013, 03:47 PM
KLO

It's funny that I just stumbled on this thread. I bought those inserts at the local Walmart after going through the process of that "foot machine". I have worn them for maybe a year or two but just a few days ago, I stopped. My feet were tired and sore every night and my legs too. Plus I had just bought new Dr. Scholl's sneakers and when I put the inserts in, my feet were too high and too far forward in the sneakers, toes rubbing and all. Since the new sneakers were padded in both the arch area and the heel area, I decided to go without for a few days and see how I did. Well, my feet feel so much better! Wish I had never gotten them. Best to buy decent shoes/sneakers. As someone else mentioned, you only get one pair of feet in your lifetime so treat them well.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:57 PM

Good shoes, even the ugly Grandmaw ones, help you to stand up all day with no pain. I wore Clarks for over 20 years in retail. Walked all day could only sit at lunch. I would recommend a foot massage as a treat. It feels so good. I had my first on in China and my feet were singing for weeks after. Hugs
Old 07-23-2013, 02:08 PM

I'm curious.... for those of you who got inserts but found that they forced your feet too high and forward in the shoe - are you taking out the original insert before putting in the after-market one? My mother had this issue and when I checked her shoes to see what the problem was, I discovered that she hadn't removed the shoe's original insert.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:46 PM

I think it is better to go to the podiatrist! I wear Birkenstock sandals in the summer and use my orthopedics in my Easy Spirit shoes the rest of the time.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I have plantar faciitis. I tried inserts, doctor-prescribed orthotics, and Z-Coil shoes. The Z-Coils were the only thing that worked for me. I was able to walk and work all day long with them. The last time I bought a pair they were $180 and well worth it.
I had plantar fasciitis too. Even had surgery on left foot, because the fasciitis was too far along. The only shoe that helped was the z-coil(cost more than $200). Was able to postpone surgery for more than a year.
BUT I would like to caution any one who buys them to also spend the extra money on heel covers(covers the coil part)was at that time more than $50. I loved my z-coils until I tripped on a wire/rope and shattered my upper left arm. Had 3 surgeries and more than a year of PT; still has less than 50% mobility, 2 1/2 years later. So buy those covers PLEASE.
I am not affiliated with z-coil; they just worked for me.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by JBeamer View Post
I had plantar fasciitis too. Even had surgery on left foot, because the fasciitis was too far along. The only shoe that helped was the z-coil(cost more than $200). Was able to postpone surgery for more than a year.
BUT I would like to caution any one who buys them to also spend the extra money on heel covers(covers the coil part)was at that time more than $50. I loved my z-coils until I tripped on a wire/rope and shattered my upper left arm. Had 3 surgeries and more than a year of PT; still has less than 50% mobility, 2 1/2 years later. So buy those covers PLEASE.
Wow I did not know they had the covers. I did trip a time or two on the vacuum cleaner cord, but fortunately was able to catch myself. I just learned to be very careful of cords. Thanks for the info!