Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Precuts shrinking >

Precuts shrinking

Precuts shrinking

Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 AM

I ran into this dilemma when I bought my first jelly roll. To wash or not wash? But the thought of me fishing out all of those strips of fabric (tangled?) from the wash machine and ironing each again one by one...ridiculous. Hopefully no regrets in the future.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:07 PM

Well I don't prewash, cause I like the shrinkage. I love the crinkly look, makes it feel quilty.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:32 PM

I'm not a prewasher, whether it's a precut or not! Luckily, I like the crinkly/old look, so it's all good. I don't buy a lot of precuts, b/c they aren't generally a good value, but every once in a while, I have to have some of everything in a line, or if there's a really good sale, I buy them. Jelly rolls are really hard for me to use b/c I like they way they look on my shelf - they almost become a decoration themselves instead of a supply. Love the quilt on our bed right now, it's a favorite, and was really easy. Chain of Faith from Moda Bakeshop, Jo's Country Junction. It's also the only time I've used the fabric called for in a pattern.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:05 PM

I like pre cuts, jelly rolls and layer cakes especially. I seldom pre wash my fabrics, and quilts turn out great. If I do not want crinkly look I quilt it a bit denser and use poly batting.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

And the great divide is still there for washing or not washing fabrics before cutting/using them!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:27 PM

My sentiments exactly. My quilts are definitely not show quilts. They are all just made to be used and loved so yeah, I fudge, too. I don't have a lot of time to quilt, so precuts help me tremendously.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
That's why I don't prewash precuts. That's really a whole lot of added work. Not only do you have to wash, dry and press but then you end up having to trim them all to the same size. No thanks. I'll use them straight out of the package. And I don't worry about them all being perfectly cut either. I can fudge.