this quilt was such a challenge! i'm so glad i managed to get it done >

this quilt was such a challenge! i'm so glad i managed to get it done

this quilt was such a challenge! i'm so glad i managed to get it done

Old 08-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

I think it is beautiful.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

I like it - it's very modern and the oriental fabrics add something unique. I've done a few quilts that I wasn't crazy about making, but I did and when I finished them I felt great. Sometimes it's good to stretch out our comfort zone so we can grow as quilters. When my DH gives me negative criticism on a quilt I've made, I listen, then ignore him, as many, many times I think we are like oil and water; but occasionally we fit together easily.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:55 AM

Great quilt, very different but I bet your friend will love it. You did a great job.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 AM

I hope you know deep in your heart that this is a gorgeous quilt. You put an immense amount of effort into it and I hope your friend pays you a pretty penny for it since it will not be hers to keep. This was truly a labor of love...a love for quilting that shines bright in the end. Not many would pursue something uncomfortable and see it to the end. About the balance thing...I think it is quite balanced. "No place for the eye to rest.."? Don't understand that one as there was so much white space that it didn't give you the feeling of being fussy at all. It's kinda interesting how the dark side pulls you in to explore more details. Wonderful quilt!!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:13 AM

Each to their own taste - and we can all appreciate your work and talent. Well done!!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:27 AM

I'm not into Oriental, but this is sure pretty. Think you are too hard on yourself. Did a great job on this.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:11 PM

The quilt is simply beautiful.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

after reading all of the comments I appreciate all the feed back- I heard from my friend today and she does love it! yea! although not my 'style' the fabrics are some fabulous fabrics! the hot pink and the ivory background are fairy frosts from Michael Miller, the large black section is this great black on black with flowers/trees on it- up close it is such a great fabric- wish I had bought more. while working on it I enjoyed the beauty of the fabrics even if I was not sure of myself or comfortable with the design process. I had ideas---I just had lots of problems getting them from my head to the fabric- I would do something, then think- either it's not right- or it's not enough- but didn't want to have it too much---the diagonal separator strip kind of pulled things together for me- I can say- those who have seen it up close (except hubby) do love looking at it- and find it beautiful. now that it is over with I can just be happy with the fabulous fabrics I got to work with and be happy I got it done...now off to finish up my applique quilts for the Connecticut house- which are much more in my realm of comfort- then on to really fun stuff.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

Unusual and gorgeous
Old 08-08-2013, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
a friend asked me to make a quilt for her to give as a gift to someone- she wanted an oriental theme with colors ivory, black & hot pink. I found it very difficult - so outside my comfort zone I didn't think I would be able to pull it off- this Irish girl has no experience working with anything oriental ..anyway- I got the top together & laid it out to show my hubby & he HATES it! generally he is very supportive- but not this time- this time he just says---"it makes no sense- 'I just don't like it".. I found that pretty stressful too- but I loaded it up & quilted it anyway- hoping my friend sees it differently- finished quilting it this morning before work- I did a lot of detail quilting on this baby- (btw-it is a large queen) it was the first time I have successfully used invisible thread to quilt a whole quilt (cream cotton thread on the back- invisible on the front) now I just need to bind it- I think i'm going to use the deep pink for the binding. doing the binding will be the only part of this I like- I've always liked the binding part- means it is finally finished- I will be happy when this one goes away. off to much more enjoyable projects.
I Love it , it is beautiful