Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
copyright questions >

copyright questions

copyright questions

Old 08-08-2013, 06:15 AM

Default Copyright fabric

Originally Posted by diannemc View Post
I bought some college fabric I was going to use to make different things to sell..I noticed on the edge it has "For personal use only". Does that mean I can use it to sell??? Thanks
The manufacturer has already purchased the license to reproduce the fabric. Of course you may use it to make things to sell.
Bette
Old 08-08-2013, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Yosamitesa View Post
Copyright Statements on Selvage
A copyright statement as defined in the US Copyright Act is using the symbol © along with the word "copyright" (or abbreviated "Copr."), the first year of publication of the work, and the name of the copyright owner. Nothing else. Any other statement by the copyright owner is irrelevant, extraneous, unenforceable and improper. Many attorneys and company representative will attempt to "claim" that "licensed fabric" is sold for "personal use only" or that the fabric is for "non-commercial home use only". In some cases they will point to similar wording on the selvage of the fabric. There is absolutely NOTHING in state or federal law that gives a manufacturer, distributor or licensee the authority to impose such restrictions upon their product without the prior written consent of the purchaser. Any lawyer or company representative who tells you otherwise is either lying or badly informed, and suspect they are probably lying.
Is this merely your personal interpretation of the law, or can you cite specific references for your very emphatic statements?
Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Is this merely your personal interpretation of the law, or can you cite specific references for your very emphatic statements?
If they don't want you to make things to use or sell with their copyrighted or licensed fabric, why buy it at all. If no one bought it that would settle the problem.

I also have a problem with patterns, if you didn't want to make the item pictured on the pattern front, why do they go to the trouble and expense of printing the picture. I don't condone sharing or copying patterns, but lets be reasonable, you see the picture with certain fabric and that is what draws you to want to make the pattern and maybe use the same fabric.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:10 PM

I think that a lot of people just put what they think with little to no understanding of copyright law.

It would be a good debate...really. I'd love to see a real debate on it, from a legal perspective.