Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I was feeling a little blue >

I was feeling a little blue

I was feeling a little blue

Old 08-12-2013, 03:03 PM

I started quilting after my mom passed away, she and I had always been very close and with my dad having just passed the year before we started doing even more things together... sitting home alone one evening I went into my sewing room, grabbed some fabric and decided to make a simple quilt..... and there it was the therapy that I needed... now I quilt just because it always makes me happy!
Old 08-12-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Glad you made good use of your "blue" time. Unfortunately, when it happens to me, I don't. I just curl up and sleep or watch tv...
Yep, this is what I do. Don't seem to have the oomph to do any sewing.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by lilac View Post
Just had to put in my 2 cents worth!
I have had cancer and had surgery and chemo twice
when I was going thru all that. quilting really helped keep me sane
I have a couple friends that quilt and the board has really helped me
I would have to get on and see what everyone was doing and learned a lot from all your good ideas
I am lurking in the shadows as I am not doing the great work you do but I am having fun and it keeps me busy
keep all those ideas coming
Good for you! And we'd love to see your work.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:08 PM

I so agree with everyone, if I didn't have my quilting when my husband was diagnosis with prostate cancer I don't think I would have made it through everything we've gone through. I quilt everyday from the time I get up until late night and it gets me through each day and relaxes my mind.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:04 PM

I find that when I am depressed I don't do a very good job, usually mess things up and give up. For me, it's better to take a nap or watch a movie until I feel better. A walk is sometimes the best idea of all.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
I find that when I am depressed I don't do a very good job, usually mess things up and give up. For me, it's better to take a nap or watch a movie until I feel better. A walk is sometimes the best idea of all.
That's when I work on mindless projects like string pieced blocks or scrappy 4-patches that I have no real plans for at the moment. Usually something that doesn't require a lot of precision or planning.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:13 AM

When I am worried or stressed, quilting always makes me feel better.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:22 AM

I am making a scrappy cat quilt for a dear friend - I call it cat scrap fever. The blocks are all done, but a baby quilt has to be done now. I will post it when the baby quilt is off the table.

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Fay, I wonder if we have some of the same fabric. I have some novelty cat fabric that I've collected but do intend, some day, to make my mom a cat quilt and maybe my brother who rescues kitties. The quilt suggestion was from my sister.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:59 AM

I too understand. 6 yrs ago I was at the embroidery machine working on quilt blocks for Christmas gifts when a knock came at my door. the state police and sheriff were there to tell me my husband had been killed in an auto accident. He was 42. For a year couldn't sew I would get sick to my stomach just to look at the machines. But God is so GOOD.With God's love, grace mercy and prayers of Family and friends and my own I was able to start quilting again.He spoke to me in every piece of fabric and pattern or thread break and still does. The road has been long but the rewards are so great. I still have days of grief I will the rest of my life but when they come those are the days my sewing room is my sanctuary.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:14 AM

Quilting is cheaper than therapy!!!