Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are Your Tomatoes Making You Crazy? >

Are Your Tomatoes Making You Crazy?

Are Your Tomatoes Making You Crazy?

Old 08-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Tomatoes have a short season here, but I have grown some that are fun colors-with different flavors. Tomatoes come in 8 colors.
Zucchini is prolific here. You will find it in your car on occasion!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:46 AM

Location: Cabin at the lake.. on my way to Brunswick as soon as the house is complete

Mine are finally coming on also, but not too many yet. We use a food dehydrator to dry them, then jar or bag them up. They are great for soups or just to munch on. My DH also canned a few jars last year that I have been using to make pizza sauce. The temp to dry is around 140 degrees and when I use an oven I leave the door open a bit to allow the moisture to escape. This method can take a few hours depending on the humidity and various other factors.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 AM

At the end of the season, my father would wrap green tomatoes in newspaper and then put them on the ledge near the ceiling of our back shed. Then for months, we would have fresh garden tomatoes ripening. Fantastic.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

We had too much fluctuation in temps this summer so our crop was a bit disappointing. I love to can whole tomatoes, sauce, salsa, and then there are tomato and cucumber salad, BT sandwiches, and tonight's dinner tomato bisque.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:10 AM

Freeze them for cooking in the winter fast and easy to do just wash and dry then put on a cookie sheet and freeze. When frozen take out and place in freezer bags and back in the freezer till you need them. Incredible for cooking with just rinse in hot water and slip skins then use in whatever you are cooking like fresh tomatoes. So good.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:34 AM

I didn't get hardly any tomatoes this year. I planted in mid-March like usual and then there were 2 hard freezes 2 days later. So I replanted and just as the plants started flowering and bearing fruit, it started getting hot. In central Texas we can usually plant in mid-March and get a good crop of tomatoes before Summer starts. Not much survives the 100+ degree days we get here. In years past I've canned my own tomato salsa using all the usual veggies that go into it. Also made tomato sauce and canned whole tomatoes. Last year was great, I canned 24 pt. of salsa,10 qts of whole tomatoes and 6 qts. of sauce. I have a 22 qt. pressure canner.
Sharon
Old 08-16-2013, 09:52 AM

Love to freeze them. Wash, dry and throw in a freezer bag. To use just take out what you need. Let thaw for a few minutes so the skin will slide off and use in any casserole, sauce, etc where you cook them. When they have been out of the freezer for 5 min or so you can just use a sharp knife to cut in hunks. Not good in salads but most anything else.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:13 AM

I put them in the food processor with onions and herbs and spices and then cook it down in marinara sauce and freeze.
Jeannedog
Old 08-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I had beautiful tomatoes early in the late spring. I have none now. We have had so much rain it has killed all my plants. Even the trees are losing their leaves. They have turned yellow and are now dropping. I always can about 100 quarts but not this year.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:18 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

what tomatoes? mine have not given up a single eeensy teensy tomato yet! cukes we got. zucchini, yea, the peppers are in kahoots with the tomatoes and on strike.