Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • "Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along >
  • "Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

• "Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

Old 08-16-2013, 06:16 PM

have any of you posted pics yet. I seem to be having problems with Pics her
    Old 08-16-2013, 06:38 PM

Dog House Mom, the word is "ScotchGuard" spray at Wal Mart and spray your place mats.Prevents stains from ruining the place mat.

Romo, we have all posted photos of fabric here. Check out the hints on photos on QB help section. Picasa3 is the free service download that sizes my photos to post here.
    Old 08-16-2013, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Me too! That "line number" was totally not necessary.

I've started one block. I've been placing two pieces each night (on all 6 parts of the block - so 12 pieces of fabric each night). Nothing done tonight (it was too pretty outside so I played in the garden), but it's the weekend!! I'd like to finish this block this weekend, should be able to. It will give me a chance to see how my colors play together and if I don't like it ... back to the drawing board.
    That was my idea too DogHouseMom - I wanted to see how the fabrics played together in a block. I started over late this afternoon, but have not gotten too far. I found that one of the pieces I thought was long enough was not, so will have to recut that piece (same one I found was wrong with the first one)!

​Jan, I thought the pattern was a little confusing too! Glad it was not only me.
    Old 08-16-2013, 10:13 PM

Jeanie, do you print an extra copy and use that as templates? I always do that with odd shapes, saves quite a lot of fabric

DHM, I had to laugh when I read your Chinese Food disaster and the stains matching your color scheme AFter all the work you've done on the blocks you don't want stains on them. And yes, it does take time to put one block together.

OK, glad you're with us again
    Old 08-16-2013, 11:01 PM

Welcome SewExtremeSeams, you will have a lot of fun with us and we do like to chat..

Roma Bauder we have not posted pics of blocks yet just fabric choices, we officially start on the 3rd September.

You all have me intruiged, but I have to admit that I haven't even printed the patterns yet, if I print I sew!!! and I have to finish up some wip's and get stuff ready for retreat. But I am so itching to start, maybe if I finish the quilt I am working on at the moment I might have a little play...
    Old 08-16-2013, 11:04 PM

Mirabelle, you could make just one testblock to see how it looks
    Have fun at your retreat!
    Old 08-17-2013, 01:13 AM

Anael as soon as I finish this Raggedy Ann quilt I might make a test block and audition my fabric, only 3 weeks till I go to retreat so plenty of time really but I am just getting so excited. I have had my embroidery machine working overtime for the past few weeks, working on a Peirrot quilt at the moment while I quilt the other.
    Old 08-17-2013, 01:22 AM

Mirabelle, I tried that too but each time I don't watch my embroidery machine it makes a mess out of something. Either skipping stitches, making a birds nest or shifting fabric, no matter how many pins I use to secure the fabric So I don't have my embroidery machine running while sewing.
    Old 08-17-2013, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Anael
    Jeanie, do you print an extra copy and use that as templates? I always do that with odd shapes, saves quite a lot of fabric

DHM, I had to laugh when I read your Chinese Food disaster and the stains matching your color scheme AFter all the work you've done on the blocks you don't want stains on them. And yes, it does take time to put one block together.

OK, glad you're with us again
    I like the idea of using one printout for templates! Thanks, I'm doing that on the next block. I have finished the first one, except the four outside triangles. I am happy at how it turned out. BUT, I have lots of peaches off of my tree that are ready to freeze today. So that's where I'll be this morning....
    Old 08-17-2013, 04:47 AM

DHMom, I had to laugh about your home-cooked Chinese dinner (hey, if I open the box it's home cooked!). QNS is right, Scotchgard helps but not in my house. I use decorative runners and placemats but when it's time to actually eat on them, out come the plastic ones and after dinner I put the fancy ones back.