Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Appliqué suggestions needed >

Appliqué suggestions needed

Appliqué suggestions needed

Old 08-18-2013, 06:57 AM

If it is the seam fraying apart I have opened the seam further and fused some more fabric to it so there is something to sew. Then fray check it.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:33 AM

Tartan's idea is great, but I also like Lisa's idea of applique around the edges so the one wouldn't stand out. I hate to be a killjoy, but I believe there is a law against "defacing" the flag. What you are purposing to do certainly isn't defacing, but it changes the flag from its original design. I will do some research and let you know for sure.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:39 AM

According to flag etiquette we are not to draw on or change the flag's appearance. That said, what you are going to do is to enhance the flag and that certainly doesn't show disrespect. I regularly repair the two flags we fly each day, just resewing the seams that come apart from the wind whipping it around. I would liken what you are doing to adding a picture of the Tower of London to the Union Jack, it certainly isn't a sign of disrespect. Anyway that is probably way more than you ever wanted to know when you asked a very simple question.

Last edited by BettyGee; 08-18-2013 at 07:39 AM. Reason: needed to add a word
Old 08-18-2013, 02:29 PM

No applique, just fix the seam and tuck all inside.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 PM

If you think you could make the patch look close enough, you could print, stencil the Declaration of Independence, or even the Gettysburg address. That would pull the eye away from a 'glaring patch' to something that fit. Also the Natl. Anthem (song) would be another suggestion, it is actually about the flag. Another suggestion would be a lincoln drape--that would be like the swags that are often used on the 4th of July. Make what you are comfortable doing. Our Quilts of Valor are actually not supposed to be images of our flag. Images relating are ok, but not the actual flag.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 AM

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. The etiquette surrounding your flag is clearly something I don't understand - we use our flag in all sorts of ways so I'll keep out of that minefield! Tomorrow I'm demonstrating quilting at The American Museum in Bath so I will give it to them to decide what to do with it. Problem solved. Regards, Jacki
Old 08-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Suz

Jacki, Seems that I was first to rain on your parade and am glad others joined me in my opinion. I/We do want to thank you for hearing us on this side of the pond. Our flag has been through a lot, both here at home, as well as across the world and I believe we are all very protective of our red/white/blue. We, however, commend you on wanting to bless a child with a quilt and asking for our opinion. Although the answer you received is not what you may have expected, but appreciate you hearing us. By responding as you have, we all wish many blessings onto you. Suz
Old 08-19-2013, 08:16 AM

eagle is our state bird