Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To Glue or not to Glue???? >

To Glue or not to Glue????

To Glue or not to Glue????

Old 08-24-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
Securing things like velcro -- BRILLANT.
Ditto on that! I've been basting the blankity blank velcro and elastic on Kindle and tablet covers I've been making. Egad. My sore fingers thank you.

I have used glue on bindings. Like many, I was skeptical. But it holds it in place on the back when stitching from the front and I prefer machine sewn bindings on quilts that are going to have busy lives. If I don't want to wash the whole thing for some reason, I have found going around the edge with a wet cloth seems to do the trick.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post

Are you talking about "loading" on a L/A? If so, no more accurate than pinning.....
This is reference to Post #26 in this thread. Yes, I use a longarm. The backing is still pinned to both the top and bottom leaders. I float the quilt top and batting. For me, the washable glue is a big help. The skill of running a baste stitch across the top without distortion is a skill I haven't mastered, smile.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by dee1245 View Post
This is not a reply to this thread. It is a question. How do you get a previous post into your own reply. I would like to be able to answer a specific person but cannot figure out how to do it.
Instead of clicking on "Reply" click on "Reply with Quote".
Old 08-25-2013, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
The glue method is not messy if you use it either sparingly or with the tiny tips you can also purchase online. I tried it right from the Elmer's Glue bottle and too much came out at one time so tried it with the tips (2 sizes come in the package) and found that worked great. I use the glue for my binding as well as when I have blocks that need their seams to match up perfectly. Doesn't take much glue to hold anything down, just a tiny speck seems to work along with a hot iron. As I wash all my quilts before I give them away, the glue is gone.
I found tips at Walmart. The brand name is Plaid and there are 6 in a pack and are made to put on a paint bottle for "paint writing". They were near the craft paints. They don't quite fit on an Elmer's bottle, but I found a bottle of paint for $.88 and trashed the paint, washed the bottle, filled with school glue and VOILA . . . works great and you get a very thin line. If you apply very thinly, I don't think you can even feel where the glue spots are. And, the faster you apply, the thinner the line.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:45 AM

i made the mistake of using the super tack glue Super77, even though i sprayed about 18 in above the backing and batting...what a mess it bunched up while i was machine quilting, it was just simple straight lines..i had to take the whole quilt apart and now i have a top that sticks to its self and a batting that does the same...grrr
Old 08-25-2013, 06:01 AM

I need a tutorial on this glue stuff. I just tried the spray adhesive for sandwiching baby quilts and I am still trying to figure out how to get the stuff off my work table and floor. As for the quilt, felt stiff the entire time I was working on it(which I guess is a good thing) but couldn't wait to get it into the washer. At least the glue would be easier to clean up!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:39 AM

Do you have to wash the quilt after binding to get the glue out?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:16 AM

I love it too. For those of you who haven't tried it yet or are scared/worried/skeptical, try it once. Just use a very thin line (if using glue from a bottle, I haven't tried the stick yet) and iron the binding down as you go. It washes right out after it's laundered and doesn't gum up the needle. On my laast quilt, I had to unglue one corner to fix a mistake (hrummph) and it was simple. I just held the corner under running water for a few seconds and the glue went away. I was able to make the fix and reglue it. East-peasy.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:33 PM

Sometimes the washable glue stick is what you need, and sometimes the washable glue from the bottle works better.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 PM

I didn't do very well with the glue on mine, so I'll stick to basting.......