Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Several quilt magazines to stop hard copy publication >

Several quilt magazines to stop hard copy publication

Several quilt magazines to stop hard copy publication

Old 08-25-2013, 07:31 AM

Does anyone else's library offer Zinio? It's a free service that lets you read magazines digitally, even if they are published in hard copy. I love it and peruse several mags each month. You can print right from the computer page. You could print the entire mag, I suppose, if you wanted to use up all your printer ink.

I mention this to assure you it is different to read a mag online, but not worse. Perhaps I am in the minority. I read books on my Kindle and in hard copy and they each work perfectly for me. Digital is the wave of the future. Ink and paper and postage are only getting more expensive. I expect to see many more mags (Newsweek anyone?) going all-digital.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 AM

I'm not against digital magazines and regularly read several online but not quilting mags. I hope this isn't a trend. Can you imagine your power is out and you want to read? Forget it. Or your computer is corrupt and you lose everything?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:57 AM

This makes me sad, as I love to relax in the evenings and really enjoy the printed copy.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

That is so, so sad and it makes me angry. I subscribe to two of those magazines, and I am now re- thinking whether I will renew my subscription or not. I like to hold the magazines in my hands and not be forced to sit at the computer to read them.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:37 AM

I love digital magazines. I started scanning articles and patterns I wanted to keep from all the magazines that are taking up space in my sewing room, so digital subscriptions are perfect for me.

The subscription prices should fall drastically - no files to be sent to the printer, no printer, no paper, no shipping, no tracking of consignments to stores, no handling of return copies...WoW!...should be less than half of the subscription price!!!! Hope it happens.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
......okay digital gurus out here........Having said that, what happens to digital mags if/when there is a loss of Internet service or your device "dies"? Can info be retrieved when source is regained? Just wondering....I personally have cut back on subscriptions, but do like to sit down and flip pages and make notes on something I may be interested in...I guess I am a Luddite.
I bought two external hard drives....use one for backups of my PC, and on the other I copy things from my PC that I want to look at/read on my laptop. So I can take the LT to my recliner and look through the mags and watch videos too. DS loaned me the LT to use to watch netflix movies in the lvg rm (before I got a Roku). With the 2 ext hd's for backup and etc. I feel pretty well covered.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

While there is a place for digital media, I don't see quilt patterns, etc as one
Old 08-25-2013, 04:44 PM

My husband makes paper for a living so I love it when people buy magazines!!! I live in a rural area and a lot of people don't have access to high speed internet. I like both forms of magazines but prefer the paper copy. The price of a digital copy won't drop because they still have to pay advertising
Old 08-25-2013, 04:57 PM

I to like the hard copy to sit and read, but the other thing I don't like about the digital copy is that I have to use my paper and ink to print out the directions for the pattern even after paying the full subscription rate. This doesn't seem right to me. I'm glad I have so many magazines because I definitely won't be going digital.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:21 PM

Too bad - I like to hold the magazines and look through them over and over again...