Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
August 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!!!! >

August 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!!!!

August 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!!!!

Old 08-27-2013, 02:04 AM

Irishrose, condolences on his death. I know this has been stressful. Yes, at least you were in your own town when the car broke down.

Meanmom, I went back to work yesterday. I had brought my lunch, a sandwich with turkey, mustard, lettuce, and tomato from the garden. But the PTA provided lunch so I put mine in the fridge and it's waiting for me for today. I had also packed green pepper from the garden and humus. The PTA provided subs, soda, chips, and cookies. I wasn't too bad, but I've really got to lay off the soda. I usually don't drink many at all, but have in the last week.

I'm headed to the gym tonight immediately after work.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 AM

Good Morning ladies,

Irishrose, you and your family are in my prayers and yes I believe he is in a better place.

I will be posting the new thread on Thursday evening. Don't forget to send me your loss the end of the month.

Wow meanmom, you have a ton of rasberries. Sounds like fun making all that jam and bbq sauce.

Eat wise, drink plenty of water, and when you can get your exercise.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 AM

So sorry for your loss IrishRose. Praying for peace in the family and your car is not expensive. I just had to put four tires on my rig, praising God that I waited a couple more days to do it because I save myself $200 in the wait.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:59 AM

Sending prayers for you and your family, IrshRose.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:32 AM

Some news on my hubby, he has diverticulitis. Boy, he is on dietary restrictions. That is so far. Can't seem to make headway to get a colonoscopy done or into a urologist, but working on it. Pray for clear pathways so we can get him onto recovery.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:49 PM

Prayers for health for those suffering and for comfort for those needing that. That could cover the whole lot of us. Sounds like the month of August is really ready to put to bed - and be on to something brighter!!! Hope if you didn't lose weight this month, at least you didn't gain.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:02 PM

Today's Terrific Tuesday has some more tips to help in our quest to lose weight. Today the headline is Moderation In All Things (we've heard that before, I know), but here goes again. Besides filling up on complex carbohydrates, it's important to make low-fat choices. Foods high in fat, such as nuts or avocados, should be eaten only occasionally; eat high-fat snack foods only rarely. Keep in mind that you need some fat each day and not all fats are bad. Without essential fatty acids (which cannot be made inside the body), skin may become dry, cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood may skyrocket and blood pressure may rise. Fat in the diet is also the only way we get the essential fat soluble vitamins A, E, and K. The body cannot make these vitamins, so they must come from the diet.
The minimum amount of fat recommended in the diet is 10 - 15% of calories. A diet that contains 15% fat is easier to prepare and easier to maintain over the long run - you're more likely to adopt such a diet as a lifestyle change and not consider it a 'diet'.
Simple ways to cut the fat (and still maintain good foods daily)
Make the move to skim milk.
Build your meals around whole grains, beans and vegetables.
Substitute plain, nonfat yogurt for sour cream
Use evaporated skim milk instead of cream in recipes
Use the 'napkin test' on baked goods. Lay the item on a napkin; if you see a great stain, the item is loaded with fat. Croissants are notoriously high in fat as are most muffins, biscuits, doughnuts and pastries.
Off my soap box. More later.....
Old 08-27-2013, 03:16 PM

I am scared of low fat diets. You should see my mom's arms. She eats low or no fat and her skin is terrible. I try to have salmon, olive oil, nuts, etc so I don't end up like her. I realize that a diet high in fat is bad but no fat is bad too. My mom has been dieting since I was a teenager. She got brainwashed by the low fat craze and there's no way to convince her that she needs some healthy fat. Oh, and watch some of those low fat products out there. They have sugar added to give it more flavor.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:09 PM

Kathleen, my doctor told me years ago not to eat anything that would leave a grease stain on a napkin. I do try to follow his advice as I refuse any cholesterol meds. I am a fan of 30, 30, 40 dieting. 30% of calories from protein, 30% from fat and 40% from carbs. So 1400 calories gives me 560 from carbs, 420 from fat and 420 from protein.

I'm going to finish the month at my beginning weight, but that's not bad considering how much sitting I have done and how much eating of food I didn't prepare. Plus the salted caramel from the hospital gift shop daily . I just need to control myself Saturday for the dinner after the service and then the evening wake. The children are sending up sky lanterns with positive thoughts written on them but the extended time means two meals to deal with. I hope it will heal some of the hurt inflicted on this family. They are all doing great. Missouri arrived today, Connecticut will leave Thursday after work. More Missouri and Albuqueque are due in Friday. I should have told them to bring their baseball gloves so we can have an interstate game.

Pam, I dislike fat free dressings and such. They taste like sugar and vinegar to me. I do like some brands of low fat.

I must be eating the right amount of fat. We kept confusing the hospital nurses. They finally asked which of us was the ex wife and which were the daughters and my daughters don't look that old.

QM, my friend has diverticulitis. I have to be very careful not to use anything with seeds when I cook for him, but he hasn't had a reoccurrence of symptoms since he has followed the diet carefully. I have been told that most people of a certain age have the diverticula, but not all become inflamed or infected (itis.) I hope all goes well for your husband.

Thank you, Shadowirish.

Quilt group at the church in the morning so I'd better start preparing - I am not a morning person.

Take care, all.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 PM

Irishrose, I feel so bad for all you are going through. I'm sure there are mixed emotions. At least you are getting to see your family.
My favorite ranch dressing is from Bolthouse Farms. It is made with yogurt, 45 calories for 2 Tbsp with 3 g of fat. It is hard to find one without msg and this one is quite tasty. I haven't tried their other flavors. They are found in the refrigerator section if anyone wants to find it.
The wind is supposed to shift around tonight and come from the north. It should be a little cooler with much less humidity. It has been brutal!
I really need to get back to exercising. When hubby gets a job and gets out of the house it will be easier. We have hopes that will happen in a couple of weeks. It has been such a challenge having him home day and night for 3 months when I was used to him being home only on weekends. It did work out great that he was home while our kids were in the country.