Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Curtains in your sewing room >
  • Curtains in your sewing room

• Curtains in your sewing room

Old 08-28-2013, 01:54 PM

The cutest valance I have seen was in a quilt shop in Northern MN and was just long torn strips of multiple fabrics doubled over and tied to a curtain rod. These were pastel gingham or 30's fabrics but any theme or fabric line/color would work.
    Old 08-28-2013, 05:31 PM

My sewing room is only a few feet from my cabin and faces it so I don't have any curtains on the windows. In my cabin only curtains are my bedroom and bathroom and are only over the bottom half of the windows for privacy. Bathroom has a stained glass piece in the top half of the window that reminds me of a mermaid.
    Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl
    Clean blinds in the bathtub, rinse with the shower, dry with a towel, rehang. Takes about 1/2 hour. :-)

I tried this too once and I also had broken blades, bend blades, the blind was a right off! lol
    Old 08-28-2013, 06:03 PM

I also only have mini blinds.
    Old 08-28-2013, 06:07 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Emma S
    Its really fun to peak into everyones sewing space. I only have one fairly large window in my sewing room. I found soft lightweight fabric in a BOLD floral of red, bright pink, bright yellow and white. They are floor to almost ceiling, hung on large rings. They can be pulled back so they don't keep out any of the light. They are more for that splash of color than for anything else.

I would love to see a picture of those curtains! They sound very pretty
    Old 08-28-2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by beckyboo1
    I'm trying to decide what curtains to put in my quilting room when the painting is done. Do most of you just hang regular curtains or do you make them something quilt or sewing related? I'd love to see pics too

Becky
    Mine is made of cotton fabric, just a topper and the print is of spools of thread. Got the fabric at a garage sale for a couple of bucks. Easy to take down and wash, iron and rehang.
    Old 08-29-2013, 03:48 AM

My husband made a "curtain rod" of a flat piece of oak, routered around the edges nicely, then he set in some empty wooden spools across it. After mounting it to the wall above my window, I made curtains from some adorable sewing motif fabric. I spaced hanging tabs along the curtain, and hung them on the spools.

I am just setting up a sewing room in our vacation home, and I plan to use (do not freak out!) an old quilt that was not salvageable, and make curtains from it. I have used old quilts that were not repairable for making teddy bears, and have enjoyed seeing the ruined quilt come to life again. I plan to make them with a point at the bottom, and hang old spools with buttons from each point. My friend did this, and it turned out so cute - I asked if I could copy her idea.

Just a couple of ideas to throw out there.
    Originally Posted by beckyboo1
    I'm trying to decide what curtains to put in my quilting room when the painting is done. Do most of you just hang regular curtains or do you make them something quilt or sewing related? I'd love to see pics too

Becky
    Old 08-29-2013, 09:49 AM

Cool New Machine

Hello All,
    I have been collecting vintage machines for a while. Well today my awesome husband has bought me a new machine....my dream machine...Bernina 830!!! It just arrived at the quilt shop this morning. I'm suppose to pick it up tomorrow and get my lesson on it. I can hardly wait. I've been wanting this machine for so long!!!! Of course I"ll still keep my collection of vintage machines. Hubby is convinced the vintage will still be around when the Bernina is long gone. maybe..we'll see. I do like the best of both worlds!!!
    Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by joycet
    Hello All,
    I have been collecting vintage machines for a while. Well today my awesome husband has bought me a new machine....my dream machine...Bernina 830!!! It just arrived at the quilt shop this morning. I'm suppose to pick it up tomorrow and get my lesson on it. I can hardly wait. I've been wanting this machine for so long!!!! Of course I"ll still keep my collection of vintage machines. Hubby is convinced the vintage will still be around when the Bernina is long gone. maybe..we'll see. I do like the best of both worlds!!!
    But what about your curtains??
    Old 08-30-2013, 01:33 PM
    Power Poster

I have some lace curtains and I have some silky looking deep red ones with an embroidered valance. Yes, they are all store bought and I do know how to make them. I used to think I had to make everything, but am much happier using any chunk of time I can get away from housework etc. for working on quilty projects. I never run out of sewing projects or mending, so pretty curtains is my reward!!! sorry, I don't have a way to post pics right now.