Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Oliso Iron for Quilting >
  • Oliso Iron for Quilting

• Oliso Iron for Quilting

Old 08-29-2013, 11:11 PM

Default Oliso Iron for Quilting

I have been seeing the Oliso TG1600 1800 Watts Smart Iron Pro on many of the quilt shows and wanted one. I just looked it up...retails for 200.00 - Wow....now that is alot . I did find it a bit cheaper but still....does anyone here have one. Is it worth 160.00-200.00 if you have one if you have to do it over again would you buy one?? I have bought many expensive irons over the years and the water leaks after a while. Wondering it any one has that problem with the Oliso. trying to justify buying one.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:18 PM

I wanted one too, when I first saw it. That is, until I saw the price. I don't even want to pay the price of a Rowenta. I'm pretty happy with my B&D and don't feel guilty about spending the $$ for it (I think it was $30 or so).
    Old 08-30-2013, 02:40 AM
    mmr

Location: Indiana home in summer. 2nd home in Florida for winter. Quilting supplies stashed in both places.

Well I bought the "inexpensive" irons and burnt up 3 irons in 3 years. Not very inexpensive. Then I was fortunate enough to get a coupon for 50% off. So I bought the Oliso. I like it very much and if I get busy sewing and forget it, it shuts off and because it lifts up, it is not burning a hole in my ironing board cover. Also I like the fact that it is not sitting up and tipping over easily as my ironing board sits on carpet and is not very stable. Like any expensive item, I try to take good care of it, along with my other toys.
    Old 08-30-2013, 02:49 AM

I want one too, I seen and used it at my LQS so I went home and checked it out, I seen lots of reviews about the iron not working after 4-6 months, some of the reviews said the customer service was not good. I decided not to buy one
    Old 08-30-2013, 03:19 AM

I have the blue oliso and LOVE it. I've had it for going on 2 years.
    Old 08-30-2013, 03:28 AM

After spending a lot for a Rowenta and it leaking within the first year, I am over the expensive irons...however, if I ever bought another expensive iron again, I probably would not put water in it. Make it a dry iron only.

I have found that ironing with steam warps my seams anyway.

The Oliso looks like it's a great iron. After being out for several years, I would think they have "ironed out" the kinks. I'd say go for it.
    Old 08-30-2013, 03:47 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolaug
    I have been seeing the Oliso TG1600 1800 Watts Smart Iron Pro on many of the quilt shows and wanted one. I just looked it up...retails for 200.00 - Wow....now that is alot . I did find it a bit cheaper but still....does anyone here have one. Is it worth 160.00-200.00 if you have one if you have to do it over again would you buy one?? I have bought many expensive irons over the years and the water leaks after a while. Wondering it any one has that problem with the Oliso. trying to justify buying one.
    Check which iron you are getting ... there are two Oliso models, and the price differential you are finding may be the difference of the two models.

There have been numerous threads on the QB ... and each time there are the ones who praise Oliso and those who detest it.

I don't have one ............ yet!
    For now, I'm definitely interested and learning all I can.
    ​When my current iron dies, I'll be making the big decision.
    Only time will tell what I will decide!!
    Old 08-30-2013, 05:03 AM

I got the Oliso 1600 at the 2012 quilt show in Cincinnati OH for $149.00. Absolutely love it and had no problems. It says to use regular water instead of distilled. Was tired of going through all of the other irons over the years. Watch to see if you can find it on sale.
    Old 08-30-2013, 06:25 AM

I have my second one, first I had the blue one, and after my granddaughter was here, it quit working. I then ordered the gray one, and I really love it. Yes, they are worth the money. I got mine on Nancy's Notions on sale.
    Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 AM

I tried lifting one in the store and found it too heavy for me. Since we use our iron a lot I want something lite.