Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Rhonda's 4th Wall Hanging Swap - July - 0ct 2013 >

Rhonda's 4th Wall Hanging Swap - July - 0ct 2013

Rhonda's 4th Wall Hanging Swap - July - 0ct 2013

Old 08-31-2013, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DustysMomma View Post
You know, I've decided I'm going to cheat a little, but with 2 really good reasons...

1. I made this for a side swap, then the person I was to swap with went MIA on me & I hate to let a good swap item go to waste.

2. I really like this piece and want to let someone else love it as much as I loved making it, because it doesn't work in my house!

I made this a couple months ago, and never have heard back from her, so, you snooze you lose. It's not really big, about the size of 2 placemats, but the colors are so happy and it has one of my favorite fabrics I've ever bought in it (the red poppies). Fingers crossed that I'll be forgiven, but this is an new piece, made by me! I found something else I wanted to do, so I'm ready to go for the next swap!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]433347[/ATTACH]

Ooh, I just noticed after I posted this, my new phone takes REALLY good pictures!
DM that is really cute and I am sure it will get a good home!!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
Ever time I see applique on this board I am in awe of the amount of talented people here. Ube, I have fallen in love with 'little quilts' - here is my cousin's finished chicken wall hanging since he REALLY wanted the one for the swap - and a mug rug for one of our cheer moms that just got a new kidney.
JNCT those are really cute! I love the mugrug. I am just really getting into making mugrugs lately so they jump out at me LOL
Old 08-31-2013, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

Some of us have been busy. The chickens are way cool JNCT14. I like the writing in the borders. The mug rug is very special to cheer a hardship, very nice. I am going to have to try my hand at some of these.

Now, Dustymomma, That picket fence is another one that I find charming. Poppies are one of my favorite flowers and my kitchen is accented with their vibrant color. How did you know!

Well done
peace
Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 PM

Cute fence, d'sm!
Right now I'm lurking.came home to a house full of fleas. We washed the dogs and i forgot to put the juice on them. Dh came home 2 weeks earlier than me and washed and put drops on them, but the house is needing to be bombed. I suggested an H bomb, but i think he was talking raid. I' m going back to texas! Well, i wish i could! I spent every possible minute with my dgd. She is a total delight ! Her mom has given me ideas for a couple of quilts. She likes blues, gray, and parchment, nothing intense, no brights. And then she wants a guest room quilt she can draw color inspiration from. Guess i will be busy!
Old 09-01-2013, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

nancia, Sounds like you had a great time and came home inspired.
peace
Old 09-01-2013, 03:28 AM

FLEAS SUCK! I always used frontline on the dogs and never an issue in the house same with the cats including the little kittens.. one drop on the tiny ones but fleas are horrible. Can you bomb take them out for a few hours and get rid of that stuff? ugh Nancia, double ugh you have to leave every cupboard open all kitchen stuff covered oh no .. is what I say.. no no. guess you best take up I love cleaning! maybe you can buy some of it while your gone the love cleaning spray too? oh you poor girl.

onto non flea things.. after much work, many trials and many want to toss it all in the garbage.. I finished my simple table runner. You see it had two y seams never done them. ok got through that. then I backed it and while on the phone with my little girl quilted it to only find out AFTER that the fact it had eyelashed the whole way through. 2 hours of seam ripping and taking out little snipsels of thread. so yesterday drum roll.. I quilted it again and it worked to an ok level. phew. MY WALL HANGING needs binding and its DONE> how is that for perseverance? now I have to like it. lol.. hope you do too well off to work on the other 10 projects that need doing. I am just so ever happy I am done... rust, black, golds those are the colors of my wall hanging.. traditional and imperfect but I did it! oh and it would make a very nice table mat instead of a wall hanging in case that is something you would rather do. now off to work
Old 09-01-2013, 08:28 AM

You know, I haven't put the hangers on this piece yet, so I'm thinking that I may do the button on kind if I can remember how, just in case whoever ends up with it wants to use it on a table instead.

Elisabrat, you love everything, lol. Have you ever met a finished quilt you didn't like?
Old 09-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

Poor nancia, I have been through this many years ago, before the marvelous flea stoppers of today. DH used to work as a cruelty investigator and would bring all kinds of animals home. I know exactly what you are going through. I don't think I could bear them getting into my fabric stash, UGH. Time will remedy this unfortunate predicament.

EB, Your WH sounds interesting, Why no picture?

DM, SO is there a tutorial for what you are referring to? Or can you tell us how ( with pictures!) sounds interesting.
peace
Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
DM, SO is there a tutorial for what you are referring to? Or can you tell us how ( with pictures!) sounds interesting.
peace
I will describe this as best I can. When I make the ones for this project, I'll put some pics up in a folder on my Dropbox account & post a link here. When Gramma was alive and still living in her apartment, we went to visit & I noticed an old quilt that I remembered always being at the foot of her bed when I was little, that suddenly was on her wall. Then I thought I didn't remember it being so small, so I asked her about it. She said that it was her mother's, and she'd decided that she'd held onto it long enough, and decided to share it with her sister. So, she took it apart (my family always ties off quilts instead of SID or FMQ), removed the border, took the seam out down the center of it, and stitched new off-white backing on the 1 of the halves. Then she sent the other half to her sister with the original backing and the borders. Well then it was too small to do anything with, so she got to talking to some of her friends about it and they told her she should hang it up so it wouldn't get damaged. She made some tabs and put them on the back with buttons. I asked her wasn't it too heavy to hang like that, and she said that the batting was so bad when she took it apart that she'd left it out when she sewed it back together, because she was just happy to still have the blanket at all, so it was light enough. I got my now ex-husband to take it down so I could see what she did.

OK, so the best I can describe it is that she took a piece of fabric, 4-5" square, and maybe 1/2" in from the edge of 2 opposite sides, she put a buttonhole (end to the edge, not sideways), which it looked like she went over 2-3 times so it wouldn't tear out. The sides that didn't have the buttonholes got a narrow hem (almost rolled hem width) in them. Then she folded the hemmed edges in til they met, finished side in, and sewed the buttonhole ends closed. The turned it right side out, and pressed it flat, so it looked almost like a travel tissue pack holder, with buttonholes on the backside of it. So for attaching it, she took a big button (of course, her buttons didn't match at all, which made me laugh...it was so Gramma to make due with whatever she had, and she collected buttons) and sewed each of them onto the back, just low enough that the top of the tab wouldn't be seen after it was hung. The tab was buttoned on, then because it was an envelope type sleeve, the nail came through the other buttonhole through the hemmed edges on the back of the tab.

I hope that makes sense! What she had hung with these was half of a twin size quilt. She'd put 3 of them on it, and it seemed to be holding up fairly well.

Last edited by DustysMomma; 09-01-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

DM, That is both a really nice memory and very cool tab method for hang a quilt. I will have to give it a go on one of my WHs. Thanks so much for sharing and I'll look for a link, like you said. Thanks again.
peace