Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kits with problems >

Kits with problems

Kits with problems

Old 09-03-2013, 03:17 AM

I just bought a kit from Missouri Star, and the background fabric for the boarders and the binding is short, but I think I'll be able to make it work.

I have also found mistakes in patterns with past kits too. For the most part I always have leftover fabric for my scrap box.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:47 AM
QKO

Anyone making up or selling kits should make an attempt to have the fabric pieces be as square as possible when cutting. Then, they should provide enough extra fabric so you can complete the kit, along with correct instructions. They should also proofread and "walk through" the instructions before packing the kits.

If something is wrong with the kit or with the instructions, they should stand behind the product 100%. It's not always possible in a BM shop, but in an online store, if a problem is found with a kit or instructions, the shop should proactively contact the remaining purchasers of that kit, explain and offer to fix the problem.

If your seller does not operate this way, it's time to shop elsewhere for your kits. If you have found a problem with the kit or instructions, you should contact the seller immediately. Reputable sellers will stand behind what they sell.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:50 AM

Those Home Ec. teachers taught us LOTS of things that people today don't seem to know. Thank goodness I went to school when there was such a thing as Home Ec. I learned so very much in that class.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:06 AM

I would call them and ask them to send more fabric or return it. I always order my kits from Connecting Threads and they are very generous with the fabric. I usually have enough left over to make something small. I am sorry you are having this problem - it is so disappointing when you are excited to start a project.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:06 AM

Sorry about your dilemma...I always buy more fabric than called for just for this reason but I guess that's why I have fabric everywhere too. A blessing and a curse.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
I bought a quilt kit and started to cut the fabric. I found that the fabric in the kit was off square, so I straighten it. Then I found out that once straightened, there was not enough fabric to cut all the pieces. The fabric was cut exactly to the inch of what was needed. So now I'll need to buy some of that fabric. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you just go ahead and cut the pieces off square? Does this problem appear in most precut kits?
The only kits I buy are from Connecting Threads. I never had any problems, always had a little left over in fact. I made a few blocks from kits from Joann's and those were ample as well. I'm sorry that happened to you. I always figure it is a gamble and if something like that happens I would substitute a similar fabric. Rolling the dice, as it were.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:05 PM

This was timely for me. I buy a fair amount of kits when traveling. I need a quick quilt this month so I went to my stash and opened a kit. The fabric was great, but the ric-rack was short over a yard. Bummer! But my first problem with a kit. Usually I am very happy with them.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:05 PM

When and If I buy a kit I always look and buy extra of what ever fabric is in the kit but you just never know and I can use the extra fabric(if any) to add additional borders or blocks to the quilt if I want it bigger than what I supposedly got. (My hubbys command, he always says buy more just in case!). He says: There is nothing like finishing a quilt and then finding out you are short fabric.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:11 PM

I have bought kits from Keepsake and Connecting Threads and was very pleased with the fabric amount. Sorry that you had this problem.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:25 PM

I bought a kit from a QS out of town. When I finally got around to making it, there were fabrics pictured but not in the kit. I had to go buy fabrics to complete the kit. Because it was out of town, I didn't bother with contacting them but probably should...