Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slow slow or run and go?? >

Slow slow or run and go??

Slow slow or run and go??

Old 09-05-2013, 04:49 PM

Definitely a Pot Roast girl ... and your analogy made me smile because not only is Pot Roast my favorite meal to eat, it's my favorite meal to cook
Old 09-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Banned

I have to admit I am the "slow pot roast " person. I prefer to be accurate as possible. But whichever makes you happy is the right method for you

Last edited by stablemom; 09-05-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:57 PM

It all depends on the mood I'm in. I really tend to be the crock-pot rather than the microwave, because I actually ENJOY the process, not just the product. But sometimes I'm just in the mood to FINISH something TODAY, and then I'll do something simpler and be less picky. Everyone needs a little instant gratification now and then, even the perfectionists.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

Both I guess it depends on the quilt and my mood.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:29 AM

Nice answers ladies, it's great to see we all love our sewing hobby regardless of expertise/time/patience! I am a new quilter, I have sewn clothing before along with accessories but nothing this big before.

A long time ago I would have unpicked and cried doing it but as I get older my heart tells me that "no one will notice unless I point it out".....but then I know it's there and sometimes it bugs me. Accuracy in the beginning is obviously the best way to go, cutting and 1/4 inch seams are the things that will allow us to get it right in the first place and as it has been said, practice is going to make that better and better.

I have got to say, I am enjoying being part of this forum so much, you are all really lovely and so willing to help and encourage, so rare in forums these days
Old 09-06-2013, 02:54 AM

I want to get it done so I sew and go. But having said that there is BOM that I am working on and one month had to put it aside because it was not matching up. Am hoping to go to a sew in at my lqs and have them help me.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:31 AM

I try to be a "slow pot roast", but most of the time I seem to be the "sew on the go", as I want to get it done to the point that I can start something else. That's why I have so many UFO's
Old 09-06-2013, 05:18 AM

I do my best to keep it perfect, but.....only God is perfect, so I accept that I'm off a little and ease the pieces together. After all, there are no quilt police!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:26 AM

I do my best to take my time and get it perfect - often it is not, at which time i just go with it. I'm not a perfectionist about anything. A point that gets cut off is glaring to me when I do it, but generally unnoticeable in a finished project I am more of a process than a product person most of the time, so do my best to remind myself that it's not a race. So, not quite a pot roast - more of a pie that bubbles over the edges. Still good, but makes a mess.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 AM

I'm on the pot-roast side. But if I know that I am not a good enough quilter to be able to correct a 'blip' I don't try to muddle through fixing it to make it worse. That usually happens when I have over-challenged myself.

When I learned to quilt (mainly from this Board) MTS suggested I follow Sally Collins' book on precision piecing, and it was the best foundation ever. It taught me to look at everything I was doing for accuracy before and after I did it. Like someone earlier said, it takes as long to do it right the first time as to do it wrong the first time.