Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!! >

Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!!

Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!!

Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by clevermom3kids View Post
You should check out this website:

http://findyourspot.com/

You take a little quiz and based on your answers it suggests several places that might fit your criteria. It may suggest places you've never considered or heard of and if nothing else it's fun to take! Good luck in your hunt!
Ooo! That was fun! Found a few new towns to look at! Thank you.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:01 AM

We live in Possum Trot, KY. It's about 15 minutes from Paducah (home of the American Quilt Museum). We have of course Hancock's of Paducah, an Eleanor Burns store and several other small home town fabric shops. There is a Michaels and Hobby Lobby. The Joann's is about an hour away in a small college town that provides other shopping opportunies. There are many different little quilt shows through out the year and many many crafts to do. There is a very large Catholic community in the area and they are quite involved with various events. There are 2 large hospitals and several small ones in neighboring towns. We are 2 hours from Nashville (more shopping - Vanderbilt University and hospital), 3 1/2 hours from St Louis, 3 hours from Memphis, 6 hours from Chicago, etc etc etc.

There are some snake...yes I'm sorry but there are. They generally don't bother you and you can get a long fine.

We have 4 seasons and generally very nice around here. No hurricanes that I know of . Lots of hilly country side yet there is city life available.

It's a huge decision and I wish you luck....oh and I've bought stuff from you so the mail does run to this area .
Old 09-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Swap Hosts

I LIKE the name of the town - Possum Trot. Some interesting homes and lots of land for sale. Worth a look, so thanks!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by drgranny View Post
What part of Texas do you live in that the snakes are mostly harmless? Every other snake in south Texas is either a rattler, copperhead, moccason, coral!!! Hate 'em!!!
Not sure if you're referring to my post or one of the others from Texas, but: I've had relatives who lived in the country here for eons and the only poisonous snakes they ever encountered were copperheads. I've never seen a rattlesnake in this part of the country and certainly never a coral snake. Rattlesnakes are in south Texas, where it's dry and hot, and maybe in the timberland of east Texas, but where in Texas do you find coral snakes?

And to answer your question, north central Texas.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I'm just (barely) north of the So. Central TX line. It actually rained (a little), last night! The last really good rainfall was several weeks ago. Remembering a few years ago (NO rain all summer long, while high temps stayed above 100), we're doing the happy dance!
Not to hijack Krystyna's thread with our own lack-of-rain posts, but: be glad! We are not as dry as 2011, The Summer It Never Rained, but very close. We've not had a good sustained rain in two months. Lakes are down, yards are dry, gardens are suffering. A tiny bit of rain about 2 weeks ago and nothing since. But just watch: the fall will be wet wet wet!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:19 AM

To the best of my knowledge, the only 2 places in the US that don't have snakes are Alaska & Hawaii. I lived in AK for 10 years, so can testify to that fact. What some people don't understand about those of us that fear snakes, is that they DON'T have to poisonous to be afraid of them.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 AM

Can't help you with east of the Mississippi, but if you want a community that meets all your criteria except that, do some research on Sherman, Texas. Two large Catholic churches within ten miles of each other, two large hospitals, lots of drug stores, one of which is open 24 hours a day, no hurricanes but can't promise tornado free anywhere in the world, and most areas of town are not in flood zones, lots of three bedroom, 2 bath houses on the market, lots of fenced yards (my dogs go in and out the doggy door all day long), you don't have to choose a fixer upper, you'll have to look for a porch, but they are out there, Lake Texoma is about 10 miles away and there is a smaller lake practically in town, but neither floods, it is hot in summer, but not like Florida and not extreme in winter and there are fabric stores galore including Hobby Lobby, JoAnn, and quilt shops all over the place, several within a 20 miniute drive. Also two quilt guilds.

There are some snakes in the countryside, but I'm assuming you plan to live in town, where if you encounter a snake it would be a wildly unusual event.

Sherman is the home of Austin College, an exceptionally fine community theater and chorale and orchestra.

Good luck in your search, froggyintexas
Old 09-09-2013, 11:39 AM

If you want to consider the NW Chicago suburbs we have everything you want and more, except the "temperate climate"

5 teaching hospitals within 90 minutes. 50, yes--FIVE ZERO, quilt stores within a 90 minute drive with THREE in my town alone. All the chain stores.

If you are over 55, consider the Del Webb community in Huntley IL five minutes from I90 and five quilt stores within 15 miles. I live in Woodstock which has been in those magazines as a great town to retire in.

No flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, snakes. Very high Catholic population---I live across the street from a Catholic HS. Homes are about 175K

We do have very high taxes, cold winters and hot summers, congested traffic.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:45 PM

OH OH, right next door to me. Streator, IL. The house next door is for sale. Central IL, close to Bloomington & Chicago. NO SNAKES, does have creek, 5 acres, trees, country, quiet, quilting buddy next door. What more could you ask for?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by drgranny View Post
What part of Texas do you live in that the snakes are mostly harmless? Every other snake in south Texas is either a rattler, copperhead, moccason, coral!!! Hate 'em!!!
On our property, I've seen rat snakes and hognose snakes, along with small garden snakes. I know the "bad" ones are out there but around here, they seem to keep to themselves. . . which is why I stated "mostly" harmless. The harmless ones are welcome, as far as I'm concerned, as they help control rodents.