Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to expect when looking for a new machine >

What to expect when looking for a new machine

What to expect when looking for a new machine

Old 09-15-2013, 07:54 AM

Go to another dealer, this one doesn't want to sell.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:57 AM

One of the most interesting way to see and compare machines is at the State Fair. Most all machine dealers are at the fair and you can listen and compare machines with and return to view ones you are really interested in purchasing. They also have sales and special offers. You can also find this type of proximity at large quilt shows.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:00 AM

I would be very cautious about a shop where I couldn't sit and sew a little while. My Bernina Dealer encourages you to try it out. They will help you to thread it and learn to use those extra bells and whistles that are on some models. In fact I would NOT buy from someone who's trying to hide something. I've been on shop hops where the shops encouraged us to "try one out" and see what you think. I've also been allowed to try machines and longarms at quilt shows. Anyone who wants to sell their product will encourage you to fall in love with their machine. Good Luck.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Here in Corpus Christi is a shop that I went to when I purchased mine. The dealer sat down with me and while I played with the machine I was interested in. I was with her for about 1 1/2-2 hours. She "instructed me how to take it apart and try out the different stitches.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:18 AM

Maybe if you're looking in a Joann or Hancocks where fabric is the primary sales, you may expect not to be able to try out a machine. But if you are talking about a dealership, like Bernina or a sewing machine/vacuum sales store, then you should expect a complete demonstration of everything on all machines and the ability to try out any/all features of any/all machines in the store. If not, walk away. Prices should be on every machine in big, bold lettering. If not, walk away. The professional shops will have at least one machine set up and ready to go. Remember, you're the one with the money to give them! They want you there. They want you to spend your money in their store. Our best store for that in Tucson is Cathy's Sew and Vac. They sell Brother, and other brands and have several set up for demonstration and use by prospective buyers. All the sales people are completely conversant with most machines and you take as long as you like; come back as often as you like until you decide. That's how it should be IMHO. Good luck and have fun.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Any good, reputable dealer should be happy to sit you down with fabric, explain the different features and let you go for a test drive. How else would you be able to know if the machine is right for you. If they don't help with that initially, they probably won't be helpful in the long run either.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:03 PM

find a different dealer.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:08 PM

The dealer should be your 'new' best friend as far as you machine is concerned---mine is---have bought 3 from the same dealer---most helpful---I consider the dealer one of the most important parts of your purchase
Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM

I just looked today. They demo'd and then I sewed. No touch, no sale.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Josieneedles View Post
I am considering buying a new machine. What can I expect when I go? Will I be allowed to touch the machine? What kind of time is usually time and information are dealers willing to give? Are they usually upfront about pricing? I,m asking because a dealer told me they would only give me a demo, I couldn't thread the machine and sew a straight line with it.
I'd RUN from that dealer as fast as possible ...
A good dealer should give YOU a overview and demo, and then let YOU try it out the way YOU'D like to. They should stay nearby for questions or help if needed, but they shouldn't make you feel like you're an imposition !

A dealer that won't let YOU try out machines on your own is like a car salesman who won't let you test-drive the car you'd like to buy !! that's crazy !

Last edited by TexasGurl; 09-16-2013 at 03:22 PM.