New Puppies-help please

Old 09-16-2013, 12:35 PM

I trained my puppys to news paper. Every time I go to bathroom it goes to. I set it down on the paper.I don't want going out all hours of the night.This has always worked for me.And everyone has newsparers. Hope this works.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:36 PM

They are ADORABLE! So tiny and cute!
Old 09-16-2013, 01:40 PM

Training your puppies will be time consuming for a while.We got a new sheltie in May (born in Feb).She was 7 weeks when we brought her home.I have a small area with a vinyl floor.I put puppy pads down in this area at night.Also had her crate there.That is the safe house and I recommend crate training. A crate for each. I put her to bed about 10p.m.and got up to take her out about 4 a.m. for the first week then as she got older it was later in the a.m.I also covered the front of the crate with a bath towel at night.
I took her out after she ate but also about every 45 min. all day. Lots of praise and if you say the same word each time the go out they learn to pee when you say the word. I say GO, hurry up. I trained my last sheltie to pee on command too.Good when you travel.
She was mostly trained after about 3 weeks. After a couple of accidents and her knowing how unhappy that made me she was house trained. I did not allow her the run of the house until she was trained.She was either with me or in her pen area.
She is 7 months and knows to tell me when she wants out. You have double the trouble. It will be hard to know who did an accident. This was a long post but training can get frustrating. Hang in there and before you know it they will be trained. It just takes time and lots of attention for the first few months.
I am 67.Good luck.Puppies grow up so fast. Our girl is a joy.

Last edited by judith ann; 09-16-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:49 PM

Good Luck with your new babies! Chihuahua's are so cute...and they know it...My Tinkerbelle has us wrapped right around her little paw.
I started her out with a cat harness and lease...they are lighter weight than anything for a dog. We alway take her outside. We have hawks around here as well as crows and other wild things...I figure that they won't bother her if they see a human with the dog. We also praise for a job well done.
I have a piddle pad under my dining room table for emergency use.
As far as holding them...I sew almost all the time...so didn't have the time to hold our baby dog as long as she would like...so I made her a pouch that I would wear around my neck....she was against my heart and would sleep in there forever. You may have a smallish shopping bag that will go over your head that they will love. Put a small towel in there, too.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:11 PM

I would do the fenced in area, and connect it to your house around a small dog door - fenced all sides, including the top, and bury blocks underneath the fenced sides (to prevent any digging out or something digging in). That way you can train them to go outside as they need to, and they can enjoy the outdoors a bit, too. No birds, no foxes/raccoons, etc can get to them. If that won't work due to your house set up, then second best is a fenced in/roofed raised 'playpen'. We did that for our yorkies years ago when we lived in an area with cougars, hawks, eagles, etc. They could go outside to do their business, to look around, etc., and we knew they were safe. We unhooked latches once a week, and moved it away from the house and their dog door to scrub and sanitize their pen. Worked great. Left it with the house when we sold it (scrubbed & sanitized, of course), and the new owners put their cat's litter box out there, and so the cat could be outside to watch everything going on.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:46 PM

Such cutie pies! They will learn fast if you are disciplined with a schedule for a solid week. It takes sacrifice but worth it .I took my dog (13 month old rescue Golden 2 years ago), on a strict schedule.
As soon as I was awake, out he went.
Then I got my coffee He had to wait. Then I fed him, watered him, and waited 20 minutes. Out again, led him to where I wanted him to do his biz. If he only peed, I took him out 20 mins later. Repeated until I realized his bowels took 80 minutes to work. LOL and TMI? then every day after that, same routine. Morning pee, food, wait 70 minutes, put him out under the trees in the far corner, witnessed his biz, rewarded him with playing tennis ball with him. Funny thing is he's more likely to "go" when he's got a tennis ball in his mouth. It's like taking a book to the bathroom. LOL. Your little gals will eventually get the hang of it, but you really have to commit to training and clear your schedule for the time being .
Old 09-16-2013, 08:09 PM

Those are the cutest little girls!!! When we got my jack Russell, I hung a bell from a door knob on her way outside. Every time I took her out, I'd ring that bell. It didn't take her long to learn that when she rang that bell, she was let outside to do her business. First time I ever tried that trick and if I ever get another puppy, I'll do it again. Good luck with training.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I love people who are able to train their dogs to use a certain area of yard, rather than the whole yard. makes it much easier to keep it tidy. Good luck!!

When your doggy goes 'poop' if you move it to the area where you would like him to always go and leave it there for a while he will start going there all the time.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:11 PM

l would use a cat harness for very small dogs.
I still use a heating pad under their beds, in the winter.
If your bare feet get cold on your floor, how would like to live that way, with no way to get warm?
I got a used play pen and put 2 zippers in the sides for the 2 blind pups I raised.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:02 AM

They make lofty pads for indoors.My vet said put them closer and closer to the door you want themto go out to go to the bathroom.Also there is a spraay to get them to go where you want to and where you don't. This was very successful when we trained our dog
They are very cute.Give them a nice foxy box or dog bed where they can snuggle when you cant. Congratulations.