Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who can wear white to a wedding? >

Who can wear white to a wedding?

Who can wear white to a wedding?

Old 09-17-2013, 07:39 PM

At my Dad's celebration of life, just a month ago, we were in sloppy tshirts and shorts trying to get stuff set up when people started arriving early.

Sweaty, dirty and greeting people is how we ended up staying for the entire time. We had clean shirts in the truck but never could get to the bathroom to change. I could "hear" my Dad laughing and having a good time with that.

All in all it was a wonderful day and it didn't matter what anyone was wearing as there ended up being a water fight with the kids and a good time was had by all. He would have loved the way it turned out.

I don't wear white to weddings because I'm a slob...really not on purpose but I can't even get in or out of a car without getting dirt on me somehow.

I wear dark to viewings if I have notice of it, but many times I have gone straight from work where we wear jeans and casual shirts. I think the people are just glad to see you and have your comfort and don't care what you wear.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:14 PM

Well, I am one of those who say NO for anyone but the bride to wear white. A wedding is about honoring the couple. It is not about Joy wearing white because she wants to show how great she looks in it. (I've known folks who wear it just because they aren't supposed to). This custom isn't a trend it is an honor. We wonder at the corroding value system, this is one good example.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 PM

I'm with you orange room. I would never wear white, OR cream, to a wedding unless it was stated on the invitation to do so. A friend almost passed out at her daughter's very expensive, formal wedding when the 'mother of the groom' showed up in a long white gown, with a trailing. 6 ft sheer neck scarf. I just figure people don't know any better as manners have been out the window for some time now. Well, not at MY house, but still.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:15 AM

Wedding or funeral. I'm just glad when the people I see are just decently covered up.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

My son was recently at a wedding where the invitation included a note to say "everybody wear white". Not everybody did, but, some did. I guess times are changing. If I were invited to that wedding, I wouldn't have worn white, only because I don't have a white dress and mainly because I wouldn't want to be a "prop" in someone else's wedding even if I did.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:34 AM

I'm with you gal.....And I still wear a dress or suit to a funeral....No to slacks....But our new generation the bride will wear all white and be huge PG.....Oh well Just look the other way...
Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

No to pants for me for any church function or weddings. It's respect for the occasion and for myself.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 AM

Whoops . I ever heard this I went to my cousins wedding in a white dress and a brown cape when I was 34 . I'm 64 now what should have happened ? We did have problems with the venue they were not ready for use and we had almost an hour wait outside . I was warm in my cape.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

My DDs each got an etiquette book on their 12th birthday. Both still have it and actually read it when a question comes up to what is proper. My DD told me most young adults don't know what is proper so they don't know when bad manners are used anyway.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
At my Dad's celebration of life, just a month ago, we were in sloppy tshirts and shorts trying to get stuff set up when people started arriving early.

Sweaty, dirty and greeting people is how we ended up staying for the entire time. We had clean shirts in the truck but never could get to the bathroom to change. I could "hear" my Dad laughing and having a good time with that.

All in all it was a wonderful day and it didn't matter what anyone was wearing as there ended up being a water fight with the kids and a good time was had by all. He would have loved the way it turned out.

I don't wear white to weddings because I'm a slob...really not on purpose but I can't even get in or out of a car without getting dirt on me somehow.

I wear dark to viewings if I have notice of it, but many times I have gone straight from work where we wear jeans and casual shirts. I think the people are just glad to see you and have your comfort and don't care what you wear.
This represents to me the meaningful priorities and values in life!