Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
need sugar free dessert >

need sugar free dessert

need sugar free dessert

Old 09-19-2013, 07:45 AM

try mrfood.com they have great diabetic recipes .... my father had diabetes he would have loved their recipes.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 AM

I use only Stevia for my sweetner. I buy the Stevia in the health food store because if you buy it from the grocery store, that Stevia is mixed with artificial sweetners. Not Good! You have to read the product carefully to get 100% Stevia for your sweetning. It can be used on your cereal, in your coffee or tea, and for baking. Please be careful with those artificial sweetners. They are very harmful to your body. Stevia is from a plant. What could be better than that?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
If you don't know whether their diabetes is Type I or Type 2, how severe they are, or what meds they are on, I strongly recommend staying with fresh fruits. Absolutely do Not use honey. It is a bigger no-no than sugar. Fresh pitted fruit such as peaches are good, as well as berries. A small amount of apple is OK. Try serving with cheese. Fresh fruit and cheese is the most common dessert is Europe. Even with Splenda, the most important factor is portion control. Most diabetics will watch what they eat without your help, but will appreciate the thoughtfulness. Any baked goods can be made with splenda instead of sugar unless they require yeast, soda, or baking powder - then use half splenda and half sugar. Sugar is needed to make the item "rise". My diabetic brother can eat pumpkin pie made with splenda and he dearly loves it. DH is a Type 2 diabetic, controlled by oral med, and eats everything he wants, made with real sugar. He is just careful with how much of it he eats. Be sure to let your guests know what has sugar and what doesn't that normally would.
Thank you for your comments everyone. It is my inlaws that are coming for a visit. And my MIL's name is Shirley; and they live in Sun City,AZ.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 AM

One angel food cake mix
One can of crushed pineapple in it's own juice
Mix together and bake

It's yummy and most diabetics have no problem with it.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 AM

One thing a lot of people don't consider is it's not just the sugar content. All flours (simple or complex carbs) break down into sugar. As mentioned already fruit contains sugar as well. All sugars count.

You want to look at the recipe as a whole and consider the glycemic value of it. We have 3 close friends who are diabetic (only 1.5 are managing it well), a BIL who's hypoglycemic, and I suspect that DH may be headed that way.

The lower on the scale the better and sugar is 100 on the list:

• Honey - 61
  • Stevia - 0
  • Agave Nectar - 30
  • Snickers bar - 51
  • Potato Chips - 51
  • Banana - 61
  • Fresh Pears - 38
  • Rice Cakes - 82
  • Fruit Roll ups - 99
  • Bagel - 72
  • Baked Russet Potato - 111
  • White flour - 71
  • Whole Wheat Flour - 71

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newswe..._100_foods.htm

The snickers bar is lower GI-wise than the banana because of the peanuts. The protein and fat "oppose" sugar and helps the body process it. Obviously that doesn't mean it's "healthier" though.

Even diabetics do need -some- carbs / sugars. The brain uses them to function, but the better the carbs, the less you need to "Stay smart".

ETA: I still use WW flour before white, but the flour you buy in the bag at the store, it really doesn't matter. They've removed most of the "good" stuff and left you with the sawdust.
We grind our own - it's still got the proteins and the fats / oils (vitamin E oils, wheat germ oil) in it that oppose the sugars more than store bought flour does. It also still contains full bran which of course helps uh... process the stuff you don't need. So if you can get your hands on some freshly ground wheat (48 hours old or less preferably) that would be much healthier than the stuff in the grocery.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 09-19-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:46 AM

ground almonds makes a nice crust also.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:53 AM

This is my go-to site for healthy dessert recipes:

http://wellnessmama.com/desserts/
Old 09-19-2013, 11:04 AM

Splenda and Equal can be substituted for sugar in any recipe.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Vat

When it comes to diabetes it is not just sugar. It is also things that make sugar once it gets in the body. Like: potatoes, corn, breads, carbs, etc. , etc. Sugar free jello is a safe bet. I know that doesn't sound very appetizing but diabetes should be very careful, your company may or may not stay close to a strict diet.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:18 PM

As some others have mentioned, anyone with diabetes should avoid Splenda and Sucrose, as well as other chemical sugar substitutes. Here's one source that explains it much better than I could: http://www.naturalnews.com/040325_sp...weeteners.html