Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you needle turn applique?  I have a question for you! >

Do you needle turn applique? I have a question for you!

Do you needle turn applique? I have a question for you!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:59 PM

Thanks for all of the advice...I'll stop clipping my outside curves. I've watched every youtube video on needle turn applique over three times. I just ordered a DVD from piece 'o cake designs on how to learn to applique. I also ordered the companion sampler book that goes with the DVD. I'm just getting so frustrated. I am trimming to 1/4 inch, I'll start trimming it down to 1/8 inch as I go. Thanks again.

PS. I've also checked with the three quilt shops that are within 100 miles of me and none of them are having an applique class. I'm kind of on my own here.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:09 PM

Missouri Star Quilt Co., Jenny Doan, also has a good video tutorial on their website for needle turn applique. The person who does it is named Pat and can't remember her last name now. She also designs applique patterns. It is a four part tutorial and Pat has such a nice laid back way of teaching. Hopefully you can find it from my sketchy description!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Yes this! I only needle turn when doing small Hawaiian, traditional type, applique. I also find the thicker the fabric the less smooth. Fabric like quality batik turns nicely but so does solid polly cotton. I think it is because both are thinner. I also do not clip anything but fold.

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
I suspect your seam allowances are too deep. I usually cut my shapes with about 1/4" extra and trim them to 1/8" or less as I go. Also, don't try to turn too much at a time.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
Missouri Star Quilt Co., Jenny Doan, also has a good video tutorial on their website for needle turn applique. The person who does it is named Pat and can't remember her last name now. She also designs applique patterns. It is a four part tutorial and Pat has such a nice laid back way of teaching. Hopefully you can find it from my sketchy description!
Her name is Jan Patek and I've watched those videos quite a few times. She makes it look so easy. I also subscribe to Jan's youtube channel...she has four or five videos on her channels about applique.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-18-2013, 06:42 PM

Cut your flower peddles out on the bias that makes it smoother.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:45 AM

I love hand applique and I am good at it. Be sure that you are only leaving about 1/8" seam allowance or smaller and clip your curves. When appliqueing I will baste the pieces to the background to avoid having to use pins. Then I only work on a small section at a time. I cut a little, sew a little. My big tip to you is to keep a flat toothpick in your mouth as you are sewing. Then I use the wet toothpick to grab the fabric and turn it under. It helps so much with getting a smooth edge because you can manipulate the fabric with the toothpick easily. Try it, I bet you will find it so useful. Good luck! Also, fabric plays a part here. Batiks are hard to applique, not good for it at all (I never use them) and then again some fabrics have a loose weave and they are not good either because they fray easily. The more you applique the more you will see the difference in fabrics.

Last edited by Donnamarie; 09-19-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:46 AM

Yes, the trick with the toothpick... I learned it from the video of pieceocake. It is a great help...
Old 09-19-2013, 12:42 PM

Hi I recently purchased a book about doing back basting applique and it really is easier for me plus I can put my patterns on the back of the block and not worry about pencil lines showing. Just keep practicing and it will get easier and it is so worth it!
Old 09-19-2013, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by annelu View Post
Yes, the trick with the toothpick... I learned it from the video of pieceocake. It is a great help...
I like the round toothpick with one pointed end. I was told to look at CrackerBarrel. Now when I go there, I ask at the register...and make all thepeople in my party get one too! The carved head makes it easy to hold. I usually use my needle to turn under..but when I get frustrated, the toothpick arrives.

I agree on Erin Russek too..here is the link to her blog.

http://www.erinrussek.typepad.com/
Old 09-19-2013, 04:23 PM

Try Mary Sorensen at http://www.maryappliques.com/ Her DVD is great! Really helped me, in fact I need to watch it again.