Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 09-21-2013, 01:52 PM

SingerSewer so glad to hear the Spirit is working great for you! I too am a Babylock girl. Though I must say that with almost every embroidery machine I've had it has a mind of its own when it comes to thread. When I had the Ellure plus it loved the Sulky but not Madeira even after playing with the tension. Now with the Spirit It o nly likes the Sulky and Floriani threads. I agree I only purchase the Sulky when its on sale at Joanns but the Floriani threads are so gorgeous in color and sheen. I get a spool for $4.20 ea at my lqs since I bought my sewing machine the Melody from them. I'm also going to the Floriani Sewing & Quilting Seminar next month. And as for the stabilizer I used a different kinds except for the washable one. I use Floriani or the one from Joanns which is great and much cheaper
Old 09-21-2013, 07:28 PM

thanks that makes it easier
Old 09-21-2013, 08:27 PM

My daughter bought a BL Spirit about a month ago and is loving it. It's her first "sewing" machine!
Old 09-21-2013, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
My daughter bought a BL Spirit about a month ago and is loving it. It's her first "sewing" machine!
The Spirit is an embroidery only machine. Has no sewing functions
Old 09-22-2013, 03:03 AM

There are so many great options in the market place for embroidery machines. I would decide on a general price point and keep that info in your head. Just ask about the MSRP price. Dont get caught up in the selling step of "price" until you are sure of what you want to purchase. That is the LAST step in your buying decision. You WILL adjust that figure because you should look at the range of models, features, price points, etc. And you will likely adjust that price point higher after you get a real idea of the cost to purchase.

Keep a file of of brochures, notes, etc with you when shopping. My head just spun when I was shopping for my machine in 2006 or whenever it was. I went from a 599$ brother Disney entry level s/e from Walmart choosing A Janome 9700 for $2200 . I was shocked too but until you shop, compare, you really dont have an idea of where you might end up.

do your homework "online" AFTER you visit the dealers. Why? Because then you have an idea of which models interested you, the brand(s), the features and functions, the MSRP (it is not the final price you will pay, it is a general benchmark for the price range you are able/willing to pay). As you compare models online...each brands website gives you a comparison tool for you do a side by side option comparison. Very helpful esp. By now you have the "price" to keep in mind and you will compare the models in that price point.

once you have narrowed your choice to purchase to one Model, then you start negotiating with the Dealer on the price. be prepared to purchase once you get to a price that you are happy with and can afford, being realistic and likely compromising. I woul pd check out the sewing machine reviews and the " pricepaid" that is usually given in the review. You use this i fo as a guide taking into account what Year that review was written. At least it is some info to consider. You really dont know what promo pricing, options or accessories might have been thrown in just by the info shared.

what I learned from the experience of shopping for my s/e machine was that I got caught up in the number of built-in designs...never have used them to this day but, the newer machines may include nicer lettering built in. I discovered that I will never stitch out a design that takes longer than an hour. My Giga hoop has never been used. 80$ wasted thinking that it would be nice to have! A lot of TOL machines come with a huge hoop now. But, not important to me.

I have been happy with my choice but I am looking to upgrade to a machine with the newer bells and whistles such as USB connectivity, color screen, on screen editing, etc. So the cycle begins for me. I have 100's of $$ in embroidery thread begging to be used up. That is another conversation....the embroidery supplies are expensive. Buy thread as you need it for a project. I found that the colors included in those "thread chests" were never colors I actually used.

sorry this is long.

good luck!
sandy
Old 09-22-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by almond View Post
This is just an experiment. I have not been able to get pictures to upload, so am trying to do so by attachment and am seeing if it will work. Anyway if it does go thru, here is a picture of a quilt I did. I embroidered the blocks on the machine and pieced the rest. This is a gift for my nephew and his new wife.
Wow! Absolutely gorgeous.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:13 AM

Threads for EM
I have now owned a Ruby and now a Viking Diamond Deluxe. I buy what ever I want and my machines have both had no problems. Every once in a while, I might have to set the spool on the table or change the needle or slow it down but that is rare. I figured that for what I paid for my machines it should take what ever I want it too and its worked out great. I use Robinson-Anton, floriani, Sulky, Jenny Haskins, Prencia, Coats n Clark, etc and have no problems. I don't do prewound bobbins but know lots who do. I just have lots of spares and try to match the thread type on the spool with whats in the bobbin, that's my only rule. I do love my machine and all that it does and just starting to get into digitizing, very slowly. I just did the quilt A Duck says Quack by Smith Street Designs where it is a combo of piecing and emb and it turned out great. I can't wait to back it and quilt it. If I can keep it away from my DGD long enough, she loves the emb animals that have textured fabric on them. I'm making her a book with the same designs for Christmas along with a cheap version of an AG Doll and lots of clothes. She's only two so I'm not willing to pay too much for the doll, especially when I just got my 12th grand child and 13 is due in Oct and my 3rd great grandchild is due in April. Got to make those dollars stretch. I buy a few at a time trying to get different shades in what ever color I buy because that's one thing that I've learned, almost every design uses different shades of the same color to highlight the design. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
The Spirit is an embroidery only machine. Has no sewing functions
Exactly right! Now that she has caught the embroidery bug, I'm hoping that she will soon start making projects that require a regular sewing machine instead of just embroidering pre-made items. :-) I should clarify that as someone who has never used any type of sewing machine that she has found the Spirit to be very user-friendly.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:37 AM

Thanks, to all that responded to my question. But I am considering all that was said, but that too, I am sort of afraid when I do get into the store I will see that the price I want to give, and the machine that I want, won't even come close. But yes, some of the options on these machines I don't feel, I probably will never use. Will consider that, also. I never heard of the BL Spirit, will look into that one also. Laura, you did say it was user-friendly, right. That's a must for me----
Old 09-22-2013, 12:33 PM

QuiltyLouise, I know I could spend a fortune on these things but remind myself of the priorities, right now is fixing my house so I've hesitant to buy too much. Some of those people buying those high ticket items, especially when its that much is either for teaching or reselling. My LQS buys slightly used machines at the conventions and then sells them at her shop, she saves a lot and so do customers and when I got mine I got all the things a new one would have given me but saved over 5000 on a new one. I really loved the Brother cutter/scanner. I can see lots of uses for it so I'll be on pins and needles until it gets here and I can take classes to get the best benefits out of it. That was my biggest splurge so I did pretty well and its 12 mos no interest, plus I got the newest Floriani thread for monogramming so that's another bonus. I try to reward myself every once in a while, I do nothing else but go to work, watch my grand kids on my days off and constantly clean my house due to kids and dogs so this is my only vice, at least its only bad for my wallet but very good for my health because it calms me down and lets me forget about the rest of the crap in my life. One day I'll make money from it, I hope. I did make money from sewing this yr but not embroidering but it all adds up. Now if it would add up to more, I'd be really happy. I want a 10 needle machine after my Diamond Deluxe, my Brother Scanner/cutter and my software is paid off. By then, my house will also be paid off and it'll be alot sweeter.