Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilters please!  Advice! >

Hand quilters please! Advice!

Hand quilters please! Advice!

Old 09-21-2013, 03:50 AM

I like Quilter's Dream battings, too. I like the next-to-the-thinnest for machine quilting. I think it is called Select. You can order even just one batt and they will ship it to you, so you don't have to store tons of batting. Another batt which is thin and is supposed to hand needle wonderfully is Thermore. It is a thin polyester which is very flat and a very even thickness. I have used it on a machine quilted quilt. It was so easy to work with.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:08 AM

I hand quilt all the time. I used Warm & Natural 2 times, the first time and last (all in one). I was so hard to hand quilt, broke a lot of needles, and put holes in 2 silver thimbles. I use Dream Cotton now, and it quilts like butter. lockesnest, schoolteacher and JustAbit Crazy are so right.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:36 AM

I would recommend (which I've used as a hand quilter) either Quilters Dream Select or QD wool. Both hand quilt like a dream!!!!
Old 09-21-2013, 05:46 AM

I'm weird, I guess. I used Quilters Dream on one quilt - it quilted just fine, but it was like a flannel sheet in the quilt. It didn't puff up at all. If you like a flat quilt, it's a good choice. A batting I do like is Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon Cotton.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
I'm weird, I guess. I used Quilters Dream on one quilt - it quilted just fine, but it was like a flannel sheet in the quilt. It didn't puff up at all. If you like a flat quilt, it's a good choice. A batting I do like is Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon Cotton.
You're right. QD gives a flat quilt. So it depends on what loft you want (or don't want) that determines what kind of batting you want to use.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:59 AM

Thank you all so much. I had a feeling that I would not be using the Warm and Natural! I have some but it won't be used for this project. Now to find some Hobbs.... or stick with my old favorite.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:18 AM

I guess I'm the odd man out. I use W&N all the time and hand quilt as well. I guess I just don't know any better but I don't have an issue with it. I've done lap to king size quilts with it, hand quilting them all. I think my stitches are fairly small (never counted). Other people (quilters and non) seem to agree. I use Roxanne #11 or #12 needles and I'm not particular about thread - whatever brand is the color I want/need works for me. Don't think I have more than my share of bent/broken needles with the W&N either.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:50 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Or, instead of Hobbs 80/20, you might try their Heirloom Natural (cotton - no scrim). I love this one for handquilting.
From the Hobbs website
:
"Heirloom® Natural is designed for quilters that want a soft drapeable batting with a traditional look. Heirloom Natural is made with 100% Natural cotton and is needle punched for additional strength. Shrinkage of 3-5% and may be quilted up to 4” apart."

Then again, if you've never tried it, their wool, or Quilter's Dream Wool,is like hand quilting thru butter, fabulous!! Wonderful drape and softness, too, completely washable, and NOT too warm (I sleep under mine almost all year round.)

Jan in VA
Old 09-21-2013, 08:54 AM

Me too! I LOVE the drape and loft of Dream Orient - bamboo, silk, cotton and a natural tree fiber. Sews very easily.

Originally Posted by lockesnest View Post
I love the Quilter's Dream line. Your needle fairly glides through and it looks lovely when finished. I use the Request loft which is the thinnest, but they are all very easy to quilt through.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:47 PM

I also do not like to hand quilt using Warm & Natural batting. I like to use a poly blend. Warm & natural feels so thick & bulky when I try to hand quilt it. However, everyone is entitled to their preferences.
So try a small sample of sandwich using W&N--see what you think.