Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
vintage machine I bought for Sis now I need your help pics >

vintage machine I bought for Sis now I need your help pics

vintage machine I bought for Sis now I need your help pics

Old 09-22-2013, 11:12 AM

Update..... Machine is moving now doing a happy dance. Thank you everyone for your support and fantastic advice!!!
I used the hair dryer oiled and rocked the wheel back and forth, then my husband oiled it and rocked it.Now it is moving. Not convinced it is completely ready to put top back on but I have started cleaning the outside of the machine and I am using alcohol to wipe it down. I am excited to go to next step on figuring out how to operate it. Thank you so very much you helped me so very much.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

I'm glad you persisted - it is ssssooooooo cool when they break free! Only use the alcohol on the machines that don't have black paint. It will remove the old decals and finish. It is a good idea to do a little test on the side of the machine where it won't show before you use anything on the machine. Glenn and I are working on a tutorial - coming soon.

Last edited by miriam; 09-22-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:38 PM

ugh!!!!!! she has tighten back up. I had her sewing beautifully a couple of days ago and now her wheel tuns halfway then tight then lose. So looks like I took one step forward and 2 steps back. Is this to be expected?
Old 09-24-2013, 04:58 PM

Darling machine. Don't see how you can go wrong with it. Hope you get it working!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

Does the wheel turn when you take release the clutch?
Does the machine turn when you drop the feed dogs?
I can't see inside that machine and the picture doesn't show up on my screen. Is the needle bar bent?
My sister is fighting with a Singer 15 that sewed through a lot of layers and had to have the needle cut out to get the thing un-jammed. The throat hole broke out of the plate. Nothing moves on hers since. I am suspecting all kinds of things... maybe a bit of needle or fluff or needle plate bits in the works below. maybe the needle bar bent somewhere with all the heavy load. Maybe it went out of time... I can't see inside yours or hers... I have one here that had loose gears under the machine. I tightened them up and sewed a while. All of a sudden it quit moving fabric. The gears got loose again. I would never have guessed that one with out seeing it. That Singer has a gear box that has no cover plate and a lot of lint gets in it. I suspect it got overwhelmed and broke loose some how. When a machine gets overloaded something is going to give. It is possible someone put a load on it.
All that said... if you got it to move, there is stuck oil somewhere.
When you use the T-F turn the machine - turn the hand wheel if you can. You can also turn the machine upside down, side ways, on it's back, end to end... You need to have some way to keep it from falling over. Some times the machine just needs time out and some T-F... I had a Pfaff under some junk in the shop for months. I kept turning it once in a while and one day it was ok. Now it needs to be wired.

Last edited by miriam; 09-24-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by BDawn View Post
It was really dirty and bone dry. I cleaned it the best to my beginner ability and really oiled well with tri flow. The hand wheel now moves some better but after a couple of revolutions it stiffens back up. The belt appears to be in pretty good shape as far as I can tell. One thing I notice when oiling it where I put the oil into the small holes the oil that dripped out is dirty. Any suggestion? I appreciate your support in this adventure. Thank you
Make sure to oil where the main shaft by the hand wheel passes through the end of the housing. There may be an oil port or not but while the top is off you can see it. Oil from both sides of the housing. Cute machine. I learned to see on a left dedicated needle machine so it seems natural to me.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
Make sure to oil where the main shaft by the hand wheel passes through the end of the housing. There may be an oil port or not but while the top is off you can see it. Oil from both sides of the housing. Cute machine. I learned to see on a left dedicated needle machine so it seems natural to me.
That's where I'm thinking it might be stuck, too.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:33 PM

Check and make sure there are no threads stuck in behind the bobbin area.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:06 PM

Thank you for your valued input. I have not had time to work on it due to working past couple of days, but I will be trying everyones suggestion this weekend and I will keep you updated. Send me lots of positive thoughts and hopefully I can get it going again.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:56 PM

Ok oiled her again let her sit while I went to work came home and oiled her again as I worked the wheel. I can't imagine any other spot that I could have missed. She is up and running again. Will hold off doing the happy dance and putting her top back on. Keeping fingers crossed. Thank you again for your interest and help.