Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Value of a kit vs purchasing yardage for the pattern >

Value of a kit vs purchasing yardage for the pattern

Value of a kit vs purchasing yardage for the pattern

Old 09-26-2013, 05:56 AM

I'm not a fan of kits. I like to pick my colors and do what I know the recipient likes. That said, I have purchased two kits from Shabby Fabrics and The Wooden Bear and was absolutely thrilled with the contents. So now that I've been totally ambiguous, I still don't buy kits that often.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:02 AM

Purchased one kit from my LQS which had just enough fabric, no more, and it turned out fantastic. Purchased another BOM which was an applique type quilt and the pieces were teeny, weeny and frayed something awful. They refunded my money without question. Personally I can't see purchasing a kit if you don't like the fabric choices to begin with. Why would you purchase a kit just to get the pattern since there are a gozillion other gorgeous patterns out there?
Old 09-26-2013, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I have never used a kit but have thought about it...
Old 09-26-2013, 06:58 AM

Personally, I'd not do a kit. I make too many mistakes and need yardage to fix screw ups
Old 09-26-2013, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
They're great if you want someone else to do your creative thinking, or gather the materials for you. I've done two. The experience wasn't gratifying for me, but the recipients loved the results.
the loss of creativity is another reason I'd not do a kit
Old 09-26-2013, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaPBradshaw View Post
I just finished a wall quilt kit for October. They had plenty of fabric for all of it, which was nice. Maybe you could ask to open up the kit and make sure everything is included in the package. I haven't ever done that but it's a thought!
Wouldn't the shop take a loss on a kit that had been opened. I'd sure not pay full price on anything that is supposed to be sealed up
Old 09-26-2013, 07:37 AM

I like to buy kits because I am not the best at putting colors together. Also I am at a point in life that I don't want a lot of leftover pieces. I have never had a problem with any kit I have ordered. I have found that if I need to buy a piece of coordinating fabric for backing or binding or whatever, I need to order it quickly or it won't be available. I've never been short cut. Of course, there is a time factor markup, but where I live, it would cost me that much in gasoline to drive to a shop (and that's if I could find what I wanted)!. I'm a big proponent of kits. I've done several from Connecting Threads, as well as other's. Always pleased......
Old 09-26-2013, 08:18 AM

i've always loved fabric, and have a lovely stash for many kinds of projects--but a few years ago, i started buying kits for two reasons: i could never be certain that fabrics i loved would still be around when i got around to doing the project, and because i knew that my income would be greatly reduced when i retired. so, i started investing in kits, knowing that i'd be retiring soon (have now done that), and that i'd have the security of having both pattern and fabric. and if it's a bit short, somewhere, i have my lovely stash to choose things from to make up any differences. the storage is easier, because everything is in one bag. while i've done the same thing with magazine patterns and the intended fabric, i miss having that access to the articles, etc. so yeah. i like kits. and i'm almost to the point where i'll be able to start in on them, and lose myself in that world, again. and i still have a stash to play in, besides. life is good.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:54 PM

I've wondered about the mark up on fat quarters, jelly rolls, charm packs etc. I know the colors are beautiful together, saves a lot of time, etc., but I'm just too cheap to buy them. I've never figured out what the cost difference is though.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:52 PM

I have only gotten a couple kits, one I completed, and the other is in my sewing cabinet waiting for a day when I feel like doing something like that again. I love putting together my own quilt tops....and of course do use some suggestions from the various quilt shoppes or places like Quilty, etc. I have tons of books.....and love shuffling through them when I am ready to start a new project. I don't think I willl be buying anymore kits.....doesn't feel like the same thing!!