Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
“pick any holiday” home dÉcor swap >

“pick any holiday” home dÉcor swap

View Poll Results: When should the next swap in this series be?
Now! I don't have enough Christmas stuff!!!
0%
Wait until after the holidays, and have a signup deadline in January.
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

“pick any holiday” home dÉcor swap

Old 09-27-2013, 07:13 AM

guess I will sit here all sad Monstookie is hiding. I have her goodies ready to send.. she doesn't love me any more bet she is wandering around in that beautiful brassiere she was making for me.. all those sparkly things and maybe a tassel or two. we want pics girl if your not going to share it. sigh..

today blustery rainy morn a bit of a chill was 34 when I woke up. now its 38 warming up by the second. the mountains all around Cody are frosted with snow. If the clouds would clear I could even take a picture. hurry up clouds I want photos! think I will pull out Halloween blocks and see what they inspire me to make today or not. lol going to sew something but first to scrounge up food. that might be a challenge. the larder is getting pretty bare just to find the energy to go shopping. got the list going does that count?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 AM

I love winter - my niece post a few photos of the storm rolling in before the snows the other day - can't beat a MT and WY sky - the colors are amazing.

I'm waiting for my lefse dough to cool down so I can start frying - only had room in the fridge for two large containers of dough (roughly 20 pounds of riced potatoes).

I'm super excited - I was first on a waiting list for Glacier Sky paper piecing class and got a call last week that someone cancelled their spot so now I can take the class. Instead of doing a multitude of colors I'm going to do classic red and white. I've colored a practice sheet I found on line and love how it turned out - I can't wait to get started - if the real deal turns out half as nice as my colored sheet I'll be over the moon happy - this will be one quilt that gets sent out for quilting.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:51 PM

oh you had best show us the before drawing and the end result. you will do marvelous I am sure and we will all live in envy of your success dabbler

I spent today with scraps. Someone gave me a pile of little scraps 5.25" inch squares like one quarter of a kings cross. assorted and mixed. This is what I came up with when I finished using them all up. I will now finish this and give it to my Grand Niece. My nephew insists they want earth tones/browns for her. UGH she is almost 1 and it has taken me this long to come up with something. I wanted to do something with sunshine batiks BUT its not my quilt and well here is this pile of stuff.. so here it is the MUDD quilt every little girl will grow to love lol. sigh. kids these days cant wait for her to talk and say I want PRINCESS quilts Auntie Linda!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...18341776_n.jpg
Old 09-27-2013, 11:41 PM

I think your choice of fabrics and colors is terrific. It is a gorgeous quilt. I absolutely love it. Great job.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:41 AM

Brat, that's so pretty! Why is it nobody ever gives me such things? All I get is "Will you make me a _____?" and "Can you make _____?" Yes, I can, but will I? Sure I will, but when and for how much? I'm so far behind now that I'll never catch up! I have so many project I want to do that I haven't started yet. Most of them I haven't started yet because I can't decide on a pattern, even though I have access to hundreds of options. I think this was a great pattern for these fabrics!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:50 AM

my good friend runs a free fabric giveaway each month of designer fabrics that are to be tossed in the landfill. Often people bring in their ufo's or their scraps from quilting and donate them to find new homes. she saves a few for me and sends me a surprise box once a month. I love it some is uh eeeeh and some is might be able to work with this stuff this was something I saved but never made time for. I too have so many projects think I have to skip a boom next round or just continue to grow boom blocks which is not a good goal. three sets waiting to sew up. sigh. no fun doing finishing work is the bottom line for me. I hate the quilting and the sashing crud. love making blocks lol.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:30 AM

ok lazy boogers what are you doing? why are you not posting? I am sitting here talking to myself. this itself does not bother me heck I do that every day but it is a tad more fun with you so I will ramble on in the hopes it draws you in for a comment. I know crazy wishful thinking

ok lefse what do you put on that and RICING 20 lbs of potatoes? OMG you have hulk arms! who peeled all those potatoes by the way? I had a vintage ricer and it was hard as heck to press things through. Maybe you have a fancy dancy new one? I gave mine away after like 3 tries.. I didn't like feeling like wrestling with it. Now what do you put on your lefse and are you selling them? seems like that might make a few of them .. or do you keep them all and they keep just fine before you eat them? curiosity is killing me.

I wonder what my partner has been doing. she forgot about us. sigh.. its ok I will sulk silently in the corner now.. yup silent me that is what I was thinking too..
Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 AM

I've been wiped with work. I didn't get to go to lunch today until almost 2pm. If I hadn't ducked & ran, I wouldn't have gotten lunch then, and I'd already given away the last of my emergency rations. All I have left in my drawer are Reese's, lol. Oh, I would be on such a sugar high!

OK, 1 more segment of Rookie Blue on Hulu, then it's back to the grindstone!
Old 10-01-2013, 05:54 PM

Sounds like we're all super busy right now.
My campers have started rolling in for Faire season. Next week will be crazy as that's when must of them will show up. And I have to be sure they are where they are supposed to be and all that. But it's such fun to see the ones who come back to stay on my land every year. And there's always some new ones too.
And I'm trying to help get everything set up for both the candle booth (which is my all the time focus) and the glass booth (which is the one I work at only at this show). Almost got done with draping tables today.
Still have to get fabric up over the light fixtures in the ceiling. Much easier since we discovered last year that a king size flat sheet would cover the whole area. Sure beats trying to make several widths of muslin fit snugly across the sets of rafters!
Well better get off here and go hem that topper for the main stairstep display. And hopefully get some more done on my project for this swap too.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 AM

I made eight dozen lefse with all those potatoes and the non profit organization that I made them for sold them for $1.50 per round - translation $144 for my lefse (cost me around $15 to make). Lefse is a big deal in this area - my neighbor Donna across the street helps out at her husbands church - they have a group that gets together and they use 200-250 pounds of potato at one time - they do this in four or five rotations - by seasons end they have literally used 1250 pounds potatoes to make lefse to sell at the Scandanavian Church Bazaar; they're very lucky as they have a machine that peels all those potatoes and they have a newer type of ricer whereas I peel everything the old fashion way with a potato peeler and manual ricer. Lefse is usually served buttered with sugar sprinkled on it and rolled up - some like brown sugar or even jam. Lutheran churches around here will have lutefisk dinners and serve lefse with lutefisk - it's not for every palate (definition - Lutefisk (dried cod treated with lye) must surely be the strangest culinary effort credited to the Norwegians, but what a treat when prepared properly. Everyone of course is not a devotee of lutefisk, but those who are defend it vehemently. Others go to the opposite extreme and claim it's a national disgrace. In years past, the homemaker had to go through the complicated task of treating the dry fish with lye, but now, even in America, frozen lutefisk is readily available at selected fish markets and at Scandinavian delicatessens.)

I
like mine best when it's fresh - the church freezes theirs until they have their big event. I have yet to find lefse at the market that I would say is any good - I'm spoiled by fresh homemade. I barter my lefse for straw bales to do halloween decorating and then keep the straw out for autumn - add pumpkins/goards/corn stalks/ scarecrows/ mums - Welcome Fall

Onto sewing news - my Singer Quantum L-500 has been having issues this past week or so - I called Singer yesterday as they have nothing on their website related to my machine - I asked the customer service rep if I had a ghost machine - yes I do. Very few were distributed as it is exactly like the Pfaff Smarter C1100 machine - in fact Pfaff feet fit my machine - and Singer had to pull their machine. Anywho instead of sending to Singer dealer for repairs I'm going to find a Pfaff technician to see if they can get the timing reset. My decorative stitches are coming out all wonky. Thank goodness for my backup machine.