Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
YUCK!  What can I use on this mess? >

YUCK! What can I use on this mess?

YUCK! What can I use on this mess?

Old 09-28-2013, 07:58 AM

to add to the toolbox - i like using ordinary all cotton string to clean with. pull off a yard or so, fold it on itself multiple times until it is maybe 10" with multiple layers, add a drop of whatever you're cleaning with and then you can use the yarn to see-saw around the metal part. it's especially great for simichrome and polishing the cylinder parts, like the needlebar. or sewing machine oil on the shafts under the bed of the machine. anything you want to go around - go around the part then switch hands so that the string is "closed" across the top of the part and then as you move your hands, it will see-saw back and forth and clean the part all the way around.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
Wow Thanks for that MSDS info. Being a retired nail tech I just went in and grabbed my pure acetone. My machine cleaned up in seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone
There's no acetone in tri-flow. It's a great solvent, but I think it will hurt the clear coat and/or paint.

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
Sowwry. I should probably change my avatar before someone messes up their monitor... Maybe the pic below? I hate how I photograph but it is me after all.
You're way cuter than the bug!
Old 09-28-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by oregongirl View Post
to add to the toolbox - i like using ordinary all cotton string to clean with. pull off a yard or so, fold it on itself multiple times until it is maybe 10" with multiple layers, add a drop of whatever you're cleaning with and then you can use the yarn to see-saw around the metal part. it's especially great for simichrome and polishing the cylinder parts, like the needlebar. or sewing machine oil on the shafts under the bed of the machine. anything you want to go around - go around the part then switch hands so that the string is "closed" across the top of the part and then as you move your hands, it will see-saw back and forth and clean the part all the way around.
That is a great idea! I am learning so much here.

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
There's no acetone in tri-flow. It's a great solvent, but I think it will hurt the clear coat and/or paint. I only use it on the metal parts and I use the turtlewax bug cleaner on the painted parts. So far so good.

You're way cuter than the bug!
Thank you.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:03 AM

Okay I did change my avatar because I really was afraid someone would hurt their monitor. That little bug was just too real looking in how it moved. It was fun whilst it lasted though.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:10 AM

Kreel oil, let it soak about 10 minutes, get whaever loose stuff you can with tweezers then lightly brush with a metal brush or a small scotchbrite pad. Be careful with the pad, they tend to break down and leave more mess
Old 09-29-2013, 03:09 PM

Thank you. This is also going into my tidbits and ideas notebook.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Banned

i think perhaps they meant "Kroil"
Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 PM

Just for the record, I have had Tri-Flow inadvertently take some paint (or black finish) off a 1924 Singer.

So, I am -very- careful with where I put tri flow.

Also for the record, I loved the bug avatar. And also that jumping elephant of Anastasia's...
Old 09-30-2013, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Just for the record, I have had Tri-Flow inadvertently take some paint (or black finish) off a 1924 Singer.

Also for the record, I loved the bug avatar. And also that jumping elephant of Anastasia's...
Aww, thanks I liked it too but it can drive people buggy. I like the elephant too. I am shopping around for another one that people won't swat at..LOL
Old 09-30-2013, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post

Uh oh. That's scary. I wonder if it's the 3% 2-Methoxymethylethoxypropanol or the 3% amyl acetate. The first is an alcohol, not volatile like rubbing alcohol or ethyl alcohol because it's a big molecule but it's still an alcohol. I looked up amyl acetate and it's also known as banana oil. And it's also a paint solvent!
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/amyl+acetate
Most of the other ingredients are basically oils and shouldn't affect paint. Teflon is pretty much inert, and it's slippery so probably not abrasive.

Maybe we need to find another favorite machine oil? Or mix our own from kerosene and sewing machine oil? I'm very bummed that tri-flow can remove paint. Singer's repair manuals say that gunky machines should be soaked in a bath of kerosene or Varsol, which is supposed to be deodorized kerosene.

About the avatars, I gotta confess that I don't like the moving ones because they're distracting. Except for DanofNJ's sewing machine animation. It moves slowly and I like staring at it!