Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Looking for sewing ideas for a little gift to an elderly person >
  • Looking for sewing ideas for a little gift to an elderly person

• Looking for sewing ideas for a little gift to an elderly person

Old 09-28-2013, 12:41 PM

A quilting pillow might be nice. Or a quilted lap throw, maybe not as big as a lap quilt, maybe a little longer than wide. I am thinking she could put in on her lap and cover her legs when she is sitting in a chair. I think it is a great idea for you to make something. I am not sure I could part with my sewing even to go to a senior's home. Most have activity rooms and do crafts of some sort.
    Old 09-28-2013, 01:19 PM

Annie, a lot of items "go missing" in senior homes. Many don't realize the item is not theirs, but it is lovely, and they want it. I'm sure this all depends on what type of senior home she is in.

With that said, a friend of mines mother loved those fancy bibs the ladies would wear to meals in the luncheon hall. If she is in one where the residents eat together she might like something like that. A bed jacket that lays on her shoulders with an easy to tie or large button or velcro. I'm in my early 60's and my hands don't have the strength they use to so she might not either. Don't want to hurt any ladies feelings but for me as I get older, somethings don't work like they use to. Just a part of life I guess.

I do think it is very lovely of you to think of her in this way!!!
    Old 09-28-2013, 01:24 PM

How about a tote bag. She can use it to take to activities or to visit. I wouldn't do a bag for the walker if she isn't using one although they're great for people who are using one.
    Old 09-28-2013, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson
    I was thinking of an arm chair over the arm organizer...
    I like this suggestion, or you could make a pocket caddy that slips between the mattress and springs and hangs at the side of the bed. It could have pockets for her glasses, a book, a notepad and pen, and the like.

Another idea might be a sort of dop kit or zippered box/bag that could hold her toiletries or other small items. Here's a tutorial, but you could make it any size.

I have the Bernina 830 of a similar vintage and love it. I was going to suggest that whatever you make, perhaps it would be fun to incorporate some of the special stitches the machine makes. She would surely recognize and enjoy seeing them.
    Old 09-28-2013, 05:44 PM

Smile

Lab Robe 36 inches by 48 inches is about the Right Size... make of pretty fabric, because in most Senior Living places if Family doesn't do the laundry it goes and gets mixed in with all the rest. In HOT WATER and HOT Dryers.. Plus make sure you sew a name tag on or embroider her name or use a Sharpie to write her name on the Quilt... I used to work in a Nursing Home and make sure you take a pictures of the Quilt and send a photo to the Daughter and ask her to make sure the Lap Quilt is added to her official list of Belongings.. Have the Daughter take a photo of the Lap Quilt with the lady so they have PROOF that its hers as well as Proof that she has it... because Nice Things seem to Walk off in the Nursing Homes/Senior Homes... What a Loving Gift for her...
    Old 09-28-2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom
    Annie, a lot of items "go missing" in senior homes. Many don't realize the item is not theirs, but it is lovely, and they want it. I'm sure this all depends on what type of senior home she is in.

With that said, a friend of mines mother loved those fancy bibs the ladies would wear to meals in the luncheon hall. If she is in one where the residents eat together she might like something like that. A bed jacket that lays on her shoulders with an easy to tie or large button or velcro. I'm in my early 60's and my hands don't have the strength they use to so she might not either. Don't want to hurt any ladies feelings but for me as I get older, somethings don't work like they use to. Just a part of life I guess.

I do think it is very lovely of you to think of her in this way!!!
    Yes what great ideas,,, the bibs or "Clothing Protectors" if sewn by You - make sure you put the ladies name on it just in case Laundry gets a hold of it so they know where to return it...
    Old 09-28-2013, 06:28 PM

Since she cared so much for the machine, why not keep her up to date with what you are making by way of a photo/scrapbook with pictures of your creations on her beloved machine. When you lose your independence and your sewing machine, the memories are what is left. Just a suggestion....
    Old 09-28-2013, 07:54 PM

I have made coasters and added tea cups, tea bags and a small teapot for shut ins so they can entertain. The coasters are simple to make and easy to send. You might include tea bags and a gift card instead of the teapot and tea cups along with a picture of a set so her daughter could pick them out. Just a little different idea. We used to do this at my church and the shut ins loved it because they could entertain their visitors.
    Old 09-28-2013, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by caspharm
    Another idea is what I think is called a "Shoulder Cozy." This one I found on Nancy's Notions (http://www.nancysnotions.com/jump.do...shoulders),but I remember seeing one somewhere that was actually a quilt made in a similar design.
    Another thing to do with fleece is to make a muff for their cold hands. Someone posted a size to cut the fleece---but I can't find it. It's something I would never have thought of!
    Old 09-28-2013, 11:21 PM

I would say a strip of quilt which she can use for her shoulders lap or on her bed. There Is on here a quilt made with a jelly roll which has a split part way up the middle a nd shaped to go around the neck . It is very quick easy and other ideas. My relatives have always been after shoulder covers legs were not important. But I did look at this and it could be converted to a knee quilt.